1100 rear crank seal replacement ?

I have a 1997 Yamaha Exciter jet boat with twin 1100 motors (I think they are the same as the waveraider motor). The left motor blew out the rear crank seal so I am going to pull the motor in the morning. I'm hoping that all I will have to do is replace the seal since the compression is good (115-116-114) and it ran great up until the seal problem but I will never know until I get in there.

I was wondering what is required to replace the rear crank seal? If it can be done w/o disassembling the motor then I am more than capable of doing that, but if it requires tearing down the whole motor then I will have someone who does this on a regular basis replace the seal.

I am curious as to what would cause the seal to come out? Whether I just replace the seal or rebuild the whole motor since it will already be out, I want to try to make sure that this does not happen again.

Also, is it best to order replacement engine parts from yamaha, or is there a better place/supplier to buy parts.

it is the same as the waveraider! and you have to pull the pto and flywheel and split the case clean the mating surfaces apply sealant and reassemble and torque to specs ( sequence and torque specs are cast into case) ps pay attention to the orientation of the seals when u pull them ! there isn't any good pics to show you the proper way And replace all 3 seals OEM are best

Thread Information