Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL750 How to go faster?

I have a 94 SL750. It has a Solas prop and Worx intake grate. The engine is in excellant condition. So why is it so slow compared to a Kawasaki ZXI1100? Yeah, theres a big displacement difference, but the SL is a lot lighter than the ZXI. It shouldn't be a good 10-15mph slower. Accelleration is a lot slower too. And is there a way to remove the stock rev limiter? The ZXI hits the limiter at almost 9k rpm while the SL is 6750.

Those two skis are insanely different...

Absolutely no comparisons should be made.

Youre not going to get the 750 as fast as the kawa for cheap.... The short response is get a faster ski.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    A pro Cdi has a higher rev limiter,But as stated,no replacement for displacement. What speed are you getting out of it?

+1
    How did you get the RPM on a 750SL to 6750. mine wont get to 6200 without leaning the crap out of it

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like it's running a 780 CDI with the limit wire cut.

+1
    780 has the same timing curve???? What MPH gain would that have?? Would i need to rejet?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kaneatious View Post
    I have a 94 SL750. It has a Solas prop and Worx intake grate.
    What size impeller are you running?

And how about a pic of the intake grate?

Too small of an impeller will decrease top speed and increase RPM.

An aggressive intake grate will hook the ski up really good in the chop, but will scrub a little MPH from top speed.

A stock 750 will do only around 48 MPH on GPS.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    after market reeds and spacers along with real air cleaners (meaning the stocker is junk) will boost the acceleration quite a bit.

I havent got a clue what CDI is in there.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much into motorcycles. A stock YZF600 will walk all over and leave hot-modded GL1800 all day long and the GL has 3 times the displacement. But when the weight factors are considered, the SL "should" be able to do much better than it does against the much heavier ZXI.

I guess it really doesnt matter. I read through maybe 50 pages and all the talk about blown top-ends and engines at first had me thinking "I'll just take it easy and keep good care of this Polaris". Then I pass my borescope into the cylinders yesterday and find 1 and 2 are stock and 3 has a Wiseco in it. Then it hits me....I dont really want something under me that I cant rely on. I'll let my kids beat it to death and then just retire it to the parts-bin.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneatious View Post
    I havent got a clue what CDI is in there.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much into motorcycles. A stock YZF600 will walk all over and leave hot-modded GL1800 all day long and the GL has 3 times the displacement. But when the weight factors are considered, the SL "should" be able to do much better than it does against the much heavier ZXI.

I guess it really doesnt matter. I read through maybe 50 pages and all the talk about blown top-ends and engines at first had me thinking "I'll just take it easy and keep good care of this Polaris". Then I pass my borescope into the cylinders yesterday and find 1 and 2 are stock and 3 has a Wiseco in it. Then it hits me....I dont really want something under me that I cant rely on. I'll let my kids beat it to death and then just retire it to the parts-bin.
    If youre talking about #3 being the piston closest to the front of the ski (MAG), then you likely need a upgraded fuel pump, as the stock pump isnt enough to feed the MAG under full load, and can run it lean.

Check if your fuel pump has 3 outs going to each carb, if not get a new one from john zingler, theyre cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information