Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Want to know about "stand-ups"

I've very little riding experience with jet ski's. I bought my first two this year. A 96 ZXI1100 and a Polaris SL750. They're fun as hell, well, the ZXI is anyway. But those small stand ups look awesome. I've seen em with 550 and 650 engines and I'm sure they're available even bigger. But are they as fun as they look sitting on a trailer? I've never seen one in action. I want to buy one, but don't want to find out AFTER shelling out the cash that they're just scooters compared to crotch rockets.

+1
    depending upon your size, they can be very fast or very slow. I am 230# and a 550 is just enough to get me around. Goes about 35MPH and is a lot more fun to play with.

The stand up is a much different ride than a sit down and it is not relaxing. It is a workout. But a lot more fun. The different hulls ride differently, so best idea is to find some folks to let you ride.

for example, the JS550 series hulls are longer than the 550SX or 650SX hulls and ride smother for a lighter rider.

+1
    where are you located

In very-cold-waters Maine.

I'm 150 and have been all my 40+ years so weight isnt a factor. I like hard-core racing type toys. While speed usually IS a factor in my choices, I find that performance and quick steering seems more important on my jet ski. I'm usually not pinning the throttle all that often. I've seen stand-ups on TV and like how they look. They seem to leap off the waves a lot easier, and higher, than the standard ski.

+1
    They are a blast, and you can get a good condition 550 for about $500, play with it, clean it up and sell it for the same next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneatious View Post
    I've very little riding experience with jet ski's. I bought my first two this year. A 96 ZXI1100 and a Polaris SL750. They're fun as hell, well, the ZXI is anyway. But those small stand ups look awesome. I've seen em with 550 and 650 engines and I'm sure they're available even bigger. But are they as fun as they look sitting on a trailer? I've never seen one in action. I want to buy one, but don't want to find out AFTER shelling out the cash that they're just scooters compared to crotch rockets.
    hands down the most fun you will have on the water.
    i bought my 550sx years ago at the same time my friend bought a newer sea doo SP (sit down)

by the end of 1 season, he wanted a stand up.
    the fun factor is not even CLOSE in comparison.

they can be EXTREMELY fast...check out this video (I'm Gerry BTW) you can see how fast a RACE ski can be...

the first rider in video is my friend, and as you can see, it can take some time to actually learn to do it. all the more fun when you CAN do it.
    the white is the 550sx (mine)
    the purple is a superjet (cousins, but i was riding)
    and the last white/black is the racing 800SX-R (i was riding too)

They are a blast!

Different ride than sitdown. You will get a workout. With the right parts on a 550 you can get near 50 on a flat day. Feels faster than on a sitdown though! The most fun is wave or wake jumping. With sites like GH and Ebay, plenty of cheap stock and aftermarket parts are available too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FH000022.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	92736  

Go here www.x-h2o.com this site is 99% stand ups. Lots of good info on everything standup.
    I rode sit downs for 7 years and always thought of getting into standups because they looked like so much fun.........they are and they are a workout as well, you will never get bored with it.
    Just make sure you buy something with enough power. The 440's and 550's are ok at first but you will soon want more speed.
    I would suggest looking for a 93 or newer Kawi sx series, you can find a good one for about $1000, or get any Superjet, a running one will cost you $1000+.
    Superjets weight just about 280 lbs, the Kawis are heavier at around 320 or so.
    For big waves and ocean riding get a Kawasaki, if you ride on a lake, the Superjet may be more to your liking.
    Good luck, you'll never look back.

+1
    We bougth a 89sx 650 kawasaki that had some mods.... for 500 bucks with title. It took a battery and a few cosmetics and we've rode the piss outta that ski all summer. I plan to fully replace all gaskets/carb parts this winter...

Total different experince, everyone that has ridden it always either says, wow that whipped my a$$ or wow that was fun... none the less they are always sore the next day!

The 650 kawasaki or yami would be the best intro ski, don't dump a bunch of cash into it though... you could get a better set up probably cheaper.

I hate to say it but I'd like to pick up a sxr or superjet...

Thanks for the great responses. I admit I do love speed, but it is all about perception most of the time. It's hard to tell 50mph from 70mph on a flat lake. No trees and such whipping by to scare you,lol. I've pretty much decided I will get one. I'm going to do my research over the winter (cold season around here is pretty much the next 8-9 monthes). I think theres a sum total of maybe 25 days in Maine warm enough to enjoy a jet ski without a wetsuit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information