Possible siezure? Electrical? Fuel?

Had a BIG problem at the lake last weekend... I decided to post here too to get a little bit more exposure.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=61773&page=7

After riding around for a full day last Saturday, the ski would hesistate then suddenly shut off multiple times on Sunday. Voltage from the battery was good, but there was quite a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust manifold side of the engine, possibly around the starter. After running it for a little bit, it would suddenly shut off and refuse to start for several minutes after.

I towed it back slowly, and it started up on the trailer, but then suddenly shut off. Often after it shut off and I tried to restart, the LCD display wouldn't even turn on, and I don't think the powervalves cycled.

I noticed some water in the cylinders, but i'm not sure if it was from towing the ski, or it was just water filtering back into the engine due to the Jetworks kit blocking the flow to the waterbox -- I mounted the pisser from the pipe water underneath the grab handle, and now i'm concerned that water had backed up into the engine.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    sounds like it was getting hot, slight seizure,stall, cool down... start and run... repeat...
    when were the carbs last gone through?

Smile

Sounds like the number 3 or #2 oil line or both came off.At first you notice a drop of top speed.Then sometimes it will only run to 40 or 50mph.Then after cooling itll fire right up run a little till it seizes again.Nikasil cylinders are tough, but your aluminum pistons arent.At minimum pull plugs check compression,then pull head to see how much damage and to which cylinder.I had a 1200 2001 just came in ,rear oil line off, center oil line off ,front cylinder droped PV into cylinder ,funny only damage done was to center cylinder,piston,rear rings,(must have just come off)front rings,and going to change front piston just for safety )They rode this ski for 6 to 8 hours after it was bought,(when bought would only run 40mph) now this should be a testament to watercraft built by yamaha.2 oil lines off one PV rubbing a piston and still run 40 mph for 6+hrs (they didnt know ,thought it was carbs)So I will bet its oil lines and orP/V as this is 4th 1200 in a year.and I am a single person repair facility.60+ hrs on ski>marvin

The carbs were cleaned early this year (March), but not rebuilt. In retrospect, I probably should have gone and rebuilt them before I started running this year.

Didn't see any oil in the bottom of the hull, and when I took the pipe off last, I didn't see any loose lines, but the hard riding I did on Saturday might have knocked something loose.

The plugs looked alright when I pulled them, but there was water in the cylinders for some reason or another. There weren't any signs of detonation on the plugs. After clearing the water out of the cylinders and putting a little bit of oil in there, the ski fired right up.

Thread Information