Installing a bilge pump in my RXT

Decided that I can't rely on the RXT bailer tube suction system 100% for open ocean riding and need to install a back up bilge pump. A side benefit is that I can use it to pump water out of the engine compartment after rinsing since my trailer is too big to tip over and get all the water out of the drain plugs. Several questions for you vet's:

- Electrical system vs. battery operated? I like the idea of running off the Jetski battery, but what if the battery dies? Seems like you would get more redundancy/reliability if you used a self contained system to augment the built in siphon/bailer system.

- Where to mount unit? Anyone see a bracket or other means of mounting the pump body without using epoxy or silicone? Where (roughly) is the best place for the pump? Near the battery with a switch? Fuse?

- Where to mount the exit hose? Obviously above water line, but where? Drill holes? Find a nice little one-way valve that the hose can fit into?

Any ideas or pictures of your set up greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, Rule 500 or Attwood or?

+1
    Riva has a Rule 500 complete bilge pump kit. It operates automatically when water is detected. Includes an aluminum mounting bracket. but it is too pricy...look at the pics of it and go to Wallmart or a discount marine store and buy the pieces needed. I wouldn't use the white corrigated hose they sell for bilge pumps, gets brittle and breaks too easily. Use clear plastic tubing available in Home Depot or Ace Hardware instead.

I would mount the pump as close to the transom as possible. Locate the discharge in the rear, below the seat handle.

Richard

Thanks Richard.

My plan is this (please critique):

- Get a Rule 500 Automatic bilge pump from WalMart, WestMarine whatever. Prefer automatic since there is no way of knowing how much water is in hull while running away from large waves I don't think a couch bounces enough to kill an automatic pump like a standup ski might.

- Mount pump in rear of hull where water pools up. Use silicone or 3M marine adhesive.

- Use heavy duty fiber reinforced tubing and drill exit hole (yikes!) out the side/rear of seat column so water can't run back into foot wells.

- Wire electronics through lanyard kill switch so pump is only operational while engine is running. Will use fuse but no other mechanical switch should be necessary(?). Need to figure out how this works; anyone know the color codes for wires?

Will try to post pics assuming this works....

There is a circular indentation in the hull of my RXT right near one of the bilge strainers (i.e. these thingys: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...75&storeNum=11

Looks like a good place to glue down an electronic bilge pump. Anyone know what that spot is for or if it's low enough in the hull to work as a pump mount point?

Thread Information