Spark Plug Issue?

A couple of weeks ago my '03 gpr got harder and harder to start until it didn't at all. The spark plugs didn't look too good, so I changed them out and it fired right up. Fast forward to yesterday, it wouldn't start again as it seems the plugs are fouled again. In the few weeks we probably put about 10-15 hours of hard riding on the ski. Does it seem right for spark plugs to go bad this quickly? It seems like they are getting wet easily. When I am messing around doing donuts and 180's, water will come over the nose and seat fairly often. The same goes for wave jumping. Are the plugs giong bad quickly because of that? Is there something I can do to help keep them dry? Or is there some other potential issue that I could be having. Thanks for your help

I had a similar situation that ended up being the needle seats. Was leaking fuel past carb settings causing a rich condition fouling plugs in one ride. It was a seadoo though(might be similar)

+1
    I second that, a leaking needle will definately make it rich at idle, dirtying up the plugs pretty quick. BEWARE: If you have leaking needles, be sure you turn off the gas valve when you shut the boat down for any long period of time, that leaking needle can let enough fuel into the crankcase to cause a hydrolock, and we all know what that can do. Bend a rod, even when just cranking over to start. (like when it starts to crank over and stops dead in its tracks)

+1
    The boat is fuel injected

Plugs should last all year

Check your compression

Did you have the recall done for the throttle cable? If so I have seen the locknuts loosen or were improperly tightened and if the cable comes off I was told that the pump will go to full rich oil? Have you noticed abnormal amounts of smoke at lower rpms? Just a thought>scott

+1
    Any other mods to the ski?

Guys,this is an 03' fuel injected ski as WFO stated,not carbed.

No other mods done to the ski. I did have the throttle cable recall service done. I haven't noticed any smoke to speak of. What exactly is required to check my compression? I am away at school in Ohio and the ski is in Wisconsin. I may just have to send in to the dealer and have them figure it out.

Hmmm - Would it not be strange to have bad compression but the ski to run great once new plugs were installed? That's what happened last time and I am anticipating a similar result when the plugs are swapped.

Just asking as I get nervous about the "dealer" taking a let's try this approach and then billing me.

Did I mention - this is the second labor day in a row that I wanted to ride after the "last ride of the year" only to be shut out by "mechanical" difficulties?????

Gotta bust the young man - you are all welcome to join in........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0854-1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	92604  

No Longer a Spark Plug Issue

Well we are near the third labor day in a row without a ski. This time the ski's engine has grenaded itself. $4,500 estimate to fix.....

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigPrsh924 View Post
    Well we are near the third labor day in a row without a ski. This time the ski's engine has grenaded itself. $4,500 estimate to fix.....

Ouch.
    Wow 4500 did the crank go thru the cases, the problem with the dealer prices is 1 oem cylinder and piston is probally over 1000 new you can find all three cylinders with pistons on this site for 1000 in good shape you need to find a good mechanic not the dealer and research for some good used parts to save some money there are a lot of good builders on this site depends where you live. Ron

Thread Information