Water Flooded Engine - 96XP

Scenario :

Rode the ski for about 3 hours. I did have a faulty WR which was causing some bogging at WOT, so I kept the ski at mid throttle for the most part. Pulled the ski and dry docked it for the night AND replaced the WR with a new one. The very next day, I put the ski in the water, went to crank it and it wouldn't budge. Pulled the ski out and couldn't turn the shaft by hand. Pulled the plugs and then turned the shaft by hand and a huge mass of water ejected from each of the plug holes. Realizing I ingested water somehow, I left the plugs out and cranked the engine until all water was ejected. Proceeded to dry the plugs and repeat until I got it up an running and rode it for 35 miles. It ran excellent, bogging issue resolved as well.

My quetion is where or how did so much water get injested into the engine? I inspected it running while tied to the trailer and there is no evidence of any water ingress into the engine compartment. Was it possible that my exhaust system was filled with water from the faulty WR and when cooled overnight and then cranked up again the next morning it siphoned water directly into the cylinders through the exhaust ports?

A second theory, and I'm just guessing at this point since I saw no evidence of water ingress from anywhere is that it got flooded during transport on the trailer. I did have to make a sudden stop so is it possible that water simply sloshed its way over the pipe into the cylinders?? Seems hard to imagine but I am really throwing(streching) the theory out there on the basis that the water box had more water than normal in it due to the faulty WR.

Tom

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey Tom, welcome.

The engine doesn't hydrolock itself while sitting still, you had to suck the water in while it was running the previous day. You should not have been running it with a faulty WRV. It constantly dumps water into the hull, and this water should be being injected into the pipe, so the coupler melts as a result. And blisters the inside of the crossover tube too.

+1
    RQ, I looked at Tom's ski this weekend (after he fixed the valve) and noticed there was play in the drive shaft doo to low greece at the flywheel. I assumed the water came in through the carbon seal.

They rode all day and no more water and the bailers worked.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bart View Post
    I inspected it running while tied to the trailer and there is no evidence of any water ingress into the engine compartment.
    Tom
    You forgot to mention you ran it with the seat off while tied to a tree at the beach...

I figured I would say trailer since it's a lot more sophisticated than a tree....it was a dead tree at that!!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Cool Erin.

Ok Tom, did you actually pop the seat when you finished up for the day, and inspect for water? Obviously you didn't run it after getting it out and blow the excess water out of the pipe and waterbox?

Depending on how much water the valve was leaking it could have dumped exess water into the exhaust system, water meant to cool the engine. And one or both cylinder/sleeve orings could have burned allowing water to enter the cylinders.

On the day of the incident, I did not fire it up on the trailer to blow out excess water...usually do but the ramp was busy and I just wanted to move on out.

When I got home, I did pop the seat to remove the faulty WRV and install the new WRV. Definitely no water in the hull which is why I was so stunned the next morning when I went to start it up and it wouldn't turn over, ultimately pulling the plugs to crank it and therein the H2O+gas+oil geiser started.

What is bizarre is that I physically rode the ski right up on the trailer so it wasn't a case where I was being towed in and forgetting to pinch the cooling inlet.

Vandals pulled the plugs over night and poured water into my cylinder?? Hahaha

As Erin can attest too, I rode that thing all day after getting it up and running and there was no evidence of water ingress....of course I did have the new WRV installed.

BTW, Erin, I did grease it up last night and sure enough, the shaft moved back a mm or two.

Tom

+1
    Did you flush it without running the motor ???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    Did you flush it without running the motor ???
    No, it was in the hull. When I first saw them on Sunday the hull still had 2" of scanky water from clearing the cylinders. At the end of the day the hull was dry and clean.

Tom (and Elizabeth) rode the snot out of them on Sunday (40+ miles each on the Hudson) with no issues.
    -except for the sunburn and sore butts.

Thread Information