2001 GTX 951DI Hydrolock. Options.

Well this past weekend I managed to hydrolock my business partner's '01 GTX over the weekend. I'm starting to do research on what my cost-effective options for a rebuild all the while boosting performance a bit. The local dealer quoted $3,000 for a new motor which I think I could do better for less.

From what I've read so far, this motor can be bored correct instead of using sleeves? Would I be better off just buying a rebuilt shortblock? What performance parts would be beneficial that wouldn't be overkill for the worth of a ski this age/design?

I'm assuming since this is a 2-stroke and just about anything newer is a 4-stroke that a newer transplant would be more trouble than it's worth?

Any reliability issues with rebuilds that would make this more trouble than it's worth?

Now as far as working on them, I'm no ASE mechanic but have been around cars, dirt bikes, 4-wheelers, and racing all my life and have built my fair share of motors/cars and have friends that are more qualified than I am to assist.

Opinions welcome.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Cain,

Buy a Rotax Remanufactured engine from a dealer. It is much cheaper than what they are quoting you, and it has all new stock OEM parts.

Sorry to hear about the hydrolock. It will fail though...for sure.

96XPSS is right. Do the install yourself. IMHO the best bang for the buck is to rejet the carbs, add aftermarket Flame arrestors and possibly a prop depending on what kind of gains you want. lowend vs top speed. You can also mill the head slightly for a little more oopmh. Addinga pipe is expensive but yields big gains.
    Does it still run? Are you sure you need a complete new motor? Is this your assesment or the dealers?
    This site is great for all the info you will need to save thousands and end up with a boat thats better than original

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    96XPSS is right. Do the install yourself. IMHO the best bang for the buck is to rejet the carbs, add aftermarket Flame arrestors and possibly a prop depending on what kind of gains you want. lowend vs top speed. You can also mill the head slightly for a little more oopmh. Addinga pipe is expensive but yields big gains.
    Does it still run? Are you sure you need a complete new motor? Is this your assesment or the dealers?
    This site is great for all the info you will need to save thousands and end up with a boat thats better than original
    Its a 951DI. Apart from a rebuild I don't think there is much out there to boos performance.

IMO - it is a DI and the 00/01 models really sucked. buy him a POS sbt engine so he has a warranty. put it in and run like hell from that thing. go find you a real pwc that has carbs or is a 4-stroke and learn how to avoid hydro-locking engines.

i sure hope you were in the surf, i'm not sure how else a human can be at fault hydrolocking a gtx.

Thread Information