Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar

Question RXP-X R&D Intake Grate

Question about the R&D Intake Grate For an RXP-X

Who is running it and give a real world estimate of how you liked it, what it did for you, MPH Gained or lossed, Holeshot, Negatives, Possitives, Modifications done to it and Photos.

As we have seen in other post's trying to get one thread together on just this part....

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    the R&D intake grate was my first mod. after getting the bolt holes to line up.. ...i love it. however i never tried the "other".
    with just the intake grate and some minor intake and exhaust mods im running over 74 mph @ 8180.
    i noticed right off the gun that it felt quicker. i have not noticed the slightest bit of cavitation that others have experienced (no silicone) out of the hole..

thumbs up for the R&D Intake grate

Quote Originally Posted by 08255 View Post
    the R&D intake grate was my first mod. after getting the bolt holes to line up.. ...i love it. however i never tried the "other".
    with just the intake grate and some minor intake and exhaust mods im running over 74 mph @ 8180.
    i noticed right off the gun that it felt quicker. i have not noticed the slightest bit of cavitation that others have experienced (no silicone) out of the hole..

thumbs up for the R&D Intake grate

SO when you 1st got it had to wallow out the holes to get it to fit right.

And you have not had the holeshot cav problem like many others.

And you used no silicone in the install

and you are running 74mph @ 8180 do you mind listing your mods....

When asking about a mod, the first question should be: what do you want it to do? too few ski modders ask that question soon enough. too many get hung up on top end numbers.

The glass lake riders will need very different mods to the chop and ocean riders.

I personally could care less about another mile or two top end. I need handling, hookup, carving. Lets be honest, there are few skis as fast as the RXP/RXP-X. When I lose an impromptu race I am never left thinking "if only I had more power", I am usually lamenting "if I could only have hooked up better or not have been sent cavitating, skipping, and gulping for traction by that *massive* 6 inch high bass boat wake in the middle of the run". On absolute glass no one can touch us. Leave your ultras, SHO, whatever at home. Throw a pebble in the pond and we are done.

I experience little cavitation on takeoff as I am not a throttle dumper. I initailly apply gradual throttle to get water moving throught the pump befroe ramping up the revs-an old habbit from my two stroke days (I had skis that would stumble if given too much too soon). I've tried it against identical sea doos (and yamahas-our current "other pwc") and that way is faster if your timing is right.

I have been holding off on the grate to see what the WORX boys come up with. My future on my current RXP-X probably includes OPAS blockoffs, the most aggressively hooking grate, and most likely sponsons as well. The ski is more than top end fast enough for the riding I do. I need handling!

So, Pheonix, what do you want it to do?

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcustoms View Post
    SO when you 1st got it had to wallow out the holes to get it to fit right.

And you have not had the holeshot cav problem like many others.

And you used no silicone in the install

and you are running 74mph @ 8180 do you mind listing your mods....
    had to elongate the front hole to have proper fitment..i was kinda dissapointed about that, but was an easy fix with a pneumatic drill.
    no silicone was used because i didnt have the "right stuff" LOL. and since then ive had no problems so i didnt mess with it.
    you will need to check the bolt torque after the first few runs. i found that they did come loose even with some blue used. i have checked every 5 hours or since the 10 hour mark, and have not had any issues(30 hours) now today.

as far as my mods. basic. rd intake grate/riva free flow+stock rubber pipe mod/ghetto 4in intake/holes filled/reverse bucket mod/removal of a bunch of unwanted crap.

today was about 90 water temp 84 and was consistently running 73 with over half tank. this is all with minor mods. im so happy with this ski! its sick.

the only thing i want now is the 15/22r. my rpms are easy 8180 and i know ive bounced off it at least once, so i need to get that impellar $

after 2 or so hours of riding this thing - i can feel it. as i type im sore..
    Last edited by 08255; 09-03-2008 at 05:14 PM.

the only thing i want now is the 15/22r. my rpms are easy 8180 and i know ive bounced off it at least once, so i need to get that impellar $

Yeah... I just finished 4 days of either riding or swimming with my friend's kids from 9am to ~7pm each day. If I keep moving I'm kinda alright, but if I sit for even a few minutes it hurts to move. SO MUCH FUN THOUGH!!!

As for the prop. You see the mods I have below, seem similar to what you have. Now keep in mind my weight (in sig) keeps me slower than others, and my "runs" are usually above 1/2 tank so...

I was riding high like you are, 8160RPM flashing 8180 settling down to 8140 after 15 to 20 minutes. I got the 15/22R expecting to drop ~120RPM and gain a decent amount of speed. Long story short, I hardly gained 1mph and dropped maybe 60 RPM. Also, I swear the stock prop is better out of the hole than the 15/22R, but not quite as much accel above ~35mph when compared to the Solas.

I'm going to check and repitch this prop. and install a new ring. I should still have another 1mph or so in this setup just to get back to ~8020RPM.

This is my experience so far. A reduction nozzle could lower RPM and gain some speed, but I like the low speed pull and holeshot the larger nozzle gives. I may just buy something else and sell this prop...

-=Mike G.
    Last edited by Mikey G.; 09-02-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Love it, ski went from 66 to 68.6 with plenum filter as well good hook up but makes the ski cavitate on take off, but hitting the throttle at mid range the ski launches heeps better.. got Riva free flow on now and hitting 70.1 revs at 8160 on glass water.... the 15/22r solas will go on Thursday I'll repost the results this is on a t-x with 120kg Rider and half tank....You'll have look past the rest of the stuff on the GPS it was turned on when I got home to take the picca then sat there for 20mins while I was stuffing around with the camera(thats my excuse anyways) no probs with bolt holes...yet anyway
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7040002.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	92139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7080023.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	92140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7080024.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	92141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7080025.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	92142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8250004.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	92143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8240036.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	92144  

Last edited by Pooche; 09-02-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eleventenths View Post
    When asking about a mod, the first question should be: what do you want it to do? too few ski modders ask that question soon enough. too many get hung up on top end numbers.

The glass lake riders will need very different mods to the chop and ocean riders.

I personally could care less about another mile or two top end. I need handling, hookup, carving. Lets be honest, there are few skis as fast as the RXP/RXP-X. When I lose an impromptu race I am never left thinking "if only I had more power", I am usually lamenting "if I could only have hooked up better or not have been sent cavitating, skipping, and gulping for traction by that *massive* 6 inch high bass boat wake in the middle of the run". On absolute glass no one can touch us. Leave your ultras, SHO, whatever at home. Throw a pebble in the pond and we are done.

I experience little cavitation on takeoff as I am not a throttle dumper. I initailly apply gradual throttle to get water moving throught the pump befroe ramping up the revs-an old habbit from my two stroke days (I had skis that would stumble if given too much too soon). I've tried it against identical sea doos (and yamahas-our current "other pwc") and that way is faster if your timing is right.

I have been holding off on the grate to see what the WORX boys come up with. My future on my current RXP-X probably includes OPAS blockoffs, the most aggressively hooking grate, and most likely sponsons as well. The ski is more than top end fast enough for the riding I do. I need handling!

So, Pheonix, what do you want it to do?
    My main concern is with the overstuff, and more hook in chop cause its very freakin rare these days to find glass water as well as I will start racing in the next season so as all you know once a race starts its pretty choppy...I want better handling in and out of turns......OVERSTUFF is something we all have to be concerned with. I want to make shure that putting on the R&D grate does not open that window any further than it is......SO I ask everyone there opinion on it........

A question I have for you is why remove the OPAS for better handling.....Are you ocean ridin or lake ridin cause the 08 P-X is not like the 07 RXP those OPAS on the X boat really does make a difference with stablity...

+1
    had to elongate the front hole to have proper fitment..i was kinda dissapointed about that, but was an easy fix with a pneumatic drill.
    no silicone was used because i didnt have the "right stuff" LOL. and since then ive had no problems so i didnt mess with it.
    you will need to check the bolt torque after the first few runs. i found that they did come loose even with some blue used. i have checked every 5 hours or since the 10 hour mark, and have not had any issues(30 hours) now today.

as far as my mods. basic. rd intake grate/riva free flow+stock rubber pipe mod/ghetto 4in intake/
    removal of a bunch of unwanted crap.

today was about 90 water temp 84 and was consistently running 73 with over half tank. this is all with minor mods. im so happy with this ski! its sick.

I am still laughing but very good and so true , Good thread I too am looking very hard at the R and D and like the looks fo the WORX.
    Ive run the riva but not the others. Funny thing is a got a moded stocker that works pretty well.

And by the way very nice speeds.

so if im running just the free flow, and filled the holes, with the riva grate, and my top speed is 71.4, ur telling me that with the r and d intake grate, ill be 74?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information