Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How good are the Fuji engines?

I am trying to decide if it is worth rebuilding my fuji 780 engine.

How many hours do these engines usually last?

I have been reading alot of posts about these engines burning up crank bearings and burning holes in pistons.

Are these engines as good as like a Yamaha 701 engine?

I would just hate to spend all winter rebuilding my engine to have it blow up next summer.

I cant decide if I want to keep this ski or sell it and buying a jet ski with a more simple motor like a twin cylinder single carbed Yamaha 701.

How many hours do must people get on a fresh rebuild of a 650,750 or 780 engine?

+1
    The fuji engine is a great power plant, if you do minor maintenance regularly and do not rebuild with cheap parts.

Cheap and Inexpensive are 2 different words.

I chose to use a SBT crank before I knew any better, but to date, knock on wood, it has not been a problem

If you do it right, upgrade the fuel system and do minor maintenance regularly, you can have a long lasting plant that cost you very little to keep going.

Good Shop for Cylinder boring and honing
    Good Pistons
    Good Crank rebuild
    Good Gaskets and sealants
    New Fuel Pump
    New Fuel Lines
    Fresh gas and oil

+1
    I have about 25 hours on my new rebuild this year

not allot of things are going to compete with a 701 for reliability! It is hands down a killer motor specially when 3 cyls are involved! did u know however the Fuji's were first water pump power plants for field irrigation!

Hmmm, I didnt know that...........................

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    not allot of things are going to compete with a 701 for reliability! It is hands down a killer motor specially when 3 cyls are involved! did u know however the Fuji's were first water pump power plants for field irrigation!

+1
    I did, do I get a prize??

No prize! only because I think I learned it from you in the first place

I have two SLs with fuji engines, and my friend has a raider with a 701 engine.

First of all, after completly rebuilding my friend's 701 engine, I can say that they are a heck of alot easier to work on than the polaris ones. We had the engine out in about 20 minutes. Plenty of room in a raider with a 701. Parts were also pretty cheap, but I find there are more used parts around for Polaris.

That being said, the SLs are more of a pain to work on as I must remove the carbs every season to clean them. This take 4 times as long than removing the engine in the Yamaha. The Fujis so far has been 100% reliable, as long as you clean the fuel system yearly.

Powerwise, my friend can not even keep up with my 650, nevermind the 750. If there is a big chop, then the raider starts to catch up due to its bigger hull. I fixed that problem with a ride plate, sponsons and R&D grate , now he is always in my wake.

Personally, I think the 701 engine is easier to own and work on, but it is slow.....

Thanks for everyones advice. I think I have anough parts between my two broken skis to make one good ski.

I have a complete bottom end that came out of a ski with a blown piston, It turns really smooth and the bearings appear to be good but It has been setting inside the ski with the top end off for over a year. Do you guys think It would be alright to use it as is or should I rebuild it? I am on a really tight budget! Also about what does a rebuilt crank cost?

+1
    $300-$350 to rebuild and true, but that is if it is bad. a repeatable shop will tell you if you are ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information