Input on purchasing used ski.

Hello guys,

Stumbled across this board and saw the activity so thought this would be a good place to start.

Looking at getting a seadoo for personal use and for search and rescue. We do both lake and river work up to class 4 water. I want a seadoo as one of the companies I do work for has a bombi dealership so I have acess to parts at a little over cost.

I will keep searching the forum but I was wondering what you experianced guys have for thoughts as to a model to be looking for that would work well in fast moving water. I would prefer to get something in the late 90's and dpend the money on modifications to help it out in performance dept.

Any thoughts would be apprecited.

Hamish

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    If you are doing search and rescue in white water, modifications for speed are not going to mesh well with reliability. If it were my rear on the ski I would be looking for a 130-155 GTX or GTI. The N/A motor while not able to be significantly modded is very reliable with rental skis logging in the thousands of hours. There are some mods I would add to such a ski, one would be a RAD-4 or similar driveshaft seal to take the carbon seal out of the equation, next would be to make sure the ski has the alloy(aluminum not plastic pump) that will add durability to the ski. I would finish off with a pair of rider controlled bilge pumps. Sure this would only be a mid 50's ski but I would know I could count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner Inside View Post
    Hello guys,

Stumbled across this board and saw the activity so thought this would be a good place to start.

Looking at getting a seadoo for personal use and for search and rescue. We do both lake and river work up to class 4 water. I want a seadoo as one of the companies I do work for has a bombi dealership so I have acess to parts at a little over cost.

I will keep searching the forum but I was wondering what you experianced guys have for thoughts as to a model to be looking for that would work well in fast moving water. I would prefer to get something in the late 90's and dpend the money on modifications to help it out in performance dept.

Any thoughts would be apprecited.

Hamish

Welcome to the board!

If you are looking to get one ski for both recreation/rescue there is really only one platform and that would a GTX 3 seater. If you are looking for a late 90's model it would still be a 2 stroke. I really don't think there are a lot of mads available for those.

Wow quick replies, thanks guys.

Just a few more thoughts and info.

The thought was to have something fairly stable on the water when not running, doesn't have to do 70 plus mph but I do want to be able to have it grunt out of the hole and throw some water if I need to grab a thumb full of throttle. I guess first concern would be reliability. Is there any model in the late 90's that one should stay away from. Sorry for the newbie questions but I hate making un educated purchases.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuner Inside View Post
    Wow quick replies, thanks guys.

Just a few more thoughts and info.

The thought was to have something fairly stable on the water when not running, doesn't have to do 70 plus mph but I do want to be able to have it grunt out of the hole and throw some water if I need to grab a thumb full of throttle. I guess first concern would be reliability. Is there any model in the late 90's that one should stay away from. Sorry for the newbie questions but I hate making un educated purchases.
    For Sea Doo you will want a GTX platform. Late 90's are ok but are two strokes and require a good mechanic to stay reliable. The 2002 + GTX and 2005 + GTI have the 4 stroke motor and have pretty decent grunt both are 3 seaters and you should be able to find 155 hp GTX for $5000 or less this time of year.

Thread Information