Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiworx Stage 1.5 Initial Start Up

I've just installed the Skiworx stage 1.5 kit on my '00 Ultra. While I haven't been able to put it in the water yet, I did start it up in my driveway and use the auxiliary cooling input.

However, it seemed like it was idling crazy fast. Not sure how fast exactly, but by sound, maybe almost double the normal idle. Read about 3k+ on stock digital readout.

Any ideas as to why?

I know it idles fast without a load, but this was too fast. Checked idle speed adjustment, dial is at lowest setting. Throttle cable and oil pump cable all check to the ranges suggested by the shop manual.

Currently more oil than 50:1 mix in tank (getting ready for break in, need to top tank off with some gas before I go out to lake. Once filled will be 50:1 running through fuel lines). I also replaced all the oil lines, not all are filled yet, but each should signs of filling. Is it the lack of resistance in the oil lines that was causing it? I've bleed the oil pump as directed in the service manual.

Only addition to the Skiworx 1.5 package to the motor is the addition of Prok F/A, since the idea of having the stock airbox with holes in it and no F/A plates seemed like a slightly bad idea in a flammable, enclosed atmosphere.

Could it be the assembly grease/excess oil on everything causing it to burn more than the idle mixture?

Everything else seemed fine, compression checked to 165 psi on each cylinder before I fired it up. Did not recheck post start.

Useful thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Only other caveat is that I have not installed the water hose splice that goes to the stinger as it seemed pointless to hook up a hose that I would ahve to adjust later.

+1
    That seems high but you really can't tell anything untill it is in the water.

Make sure you dont have a air leak arround the intakes, that would cause a high idle. Did steve set the carbs up to run the proks? It should idle about 1800 out of water if the throttle cable isnt holding it open a little.

Dont forget to hook up the water to the stinger. Without it you will burn a coupler quick.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy1028 View Post
    I've just installed the Skiworx stage 1.5 kit on my '00 Ultra. While I haven't been able to put it in the water yet, I did start it up in my driveway and use the auxiliary cooling input.

However, it seemed like it was idling crazy fast. Not sure how fast exactly, but by sound, maybe almost double the normal idle. Read about 3k+ on stock digital readout.

Any ideas as to why?

I know it idles fast without a load, but this was too fast. Checked idle speed adjustment, dial is at lowest setting. Throttle cable and oil pump cable all check to the ranges suggested by the shop manual.

Currently more oil than 50:1 mix in tank (getting ready for break in, need to top tank off with some gas before I go out to lake. Once filled will be 50:1 running through fuel lines). I also replaced all the oil lines, not all are filled yet, but each should signs of filling. Is it the lack of resistance in the oil lines that was causing it? I've bleed the oil pump as directed in the service manual.

Only addition to the Skiworx 1.5 package to the motor is the addition of Prok F/A, since the idea of having the stock airbox with holes in it and no F/A plates seemed like a slightly bad idea in a flammable, enclosed atmosphere.

Could it be the assembly grease/excess oil on everything causing it to burn more than the idle mixture?

Everything else seemed fine, compression checked to 165 psi on each cylinder before I fired it up. Did not recheck post start.

Useful thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
    ive seen the kit on their site......what does it consist of....

I would say AIR LEAK somewhere.

Flat top pistons, heads, carb mod, stinger mod and a solas 16/20 as well as all the needed gaskets.

+1
    air leak 4 sho then

You didn't mention if you tied to adjust the idle down with the idle knob?

Idle problem solved. Throttle cable bracket just needed some adjustment to allow for throttles to close all the way.

Any suggestions on how many tanks to break it in with? I ran one yesterday, and plan to run at least one more (50:1+) mix in tank, plus oil injection, but there is only so long that I can tolerate riding not at full throttle and fouling plugs.

I've got one I'm breaking in now and I do short bursts of full throttle to set the rings and then after the first tank its on. Just be careful not to hold it wide open for long bursts on that first tank. all your wanting is the rings to seat. I've done a few motors this way and they seem to be stronger than the slow break-in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information