Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    '97 GTX idle problem after new motor installed

    Hi guys,

    My ski runs fine out of the water but when it's in the water it doesn't idle very well, especially when it's cold (first start). Out of the water it runs at 3000-3300RPM as it should... in the water it runs between 1120-1540RPM constantly going up and down between the two numbers... it sounds like it's about to stall and then it picks itself back up to 1540RPM and then drops down again. It runs fine other than that - goes full RPM (6900RPM) at WOT.

    I put a new motor in it this year as you may know... has about 10 hours on the new motor. It's done this since I put the motor in I think so I'm wondering if it needs to have the idle screw adjusted? What would cause the up and down RPM? That being said, on Sunday I started it after a 30 min break and it idled at 1500RPM solid and didn't move lower... so it seems to be random... but rarely does it stay at 1500 constantly.

    Any help would be appreciated thanks!


  2. #2
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27314

    Read my post on there too. If you didn't clean the pilot orifices in the carbs, enjoy the erratic operation.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27314

    Read my post on there too. If you didn't clean the pilot orifices in the carbs, enjoy the erratic operation.
    Mike and I took the carbs apart while we were trouble shooting initially before the new motor, and the carbs were clean. We removed the needle also and everything looks clean and the filter was also brand new looking. Should I still go through this process you're suggesting?

  4. #4
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstyle View Post
    Mike and I took the carbs apart while we were trouble shooting initially before the new motor, and the carbs were clean. We removed the needle also and everything looks clean and the filter was also brand new looking. Should I still go through this process you're suggesting?
    Yes, because you can't see this. I didn't know it would have made that much difference unless I was watching when I was spraying. It's worth a try for sure...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Yes, because you can't see this. I didn't know it would have made that much difference unless I was watching when I was spraying. It's worth a try for sure...
    Okay I'll try that and let you know.... I took the ski out yesterday and it seems to be getting worse each time I go out. I'm at the point now where I'm unsure if it'll be reliable.

  6. #6
    785xp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    897
    +1
    7
    You went out yesterday and didn't call me.

  7. #7
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    You went out yesterday and didn't call me.
    Oooh...I'd be pissed too Mike...

  8. #8
    did you leak down build??
    check - intake/combustion leak down?!?!?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 785xp View Post
    You went out yesterday and didn't call me.
    I figured you would have called me if you could go... you're the family man on a limited schedule .. I just went out quickly with a buddy...

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ohell View Post
    did you leak down build??
    check - intake/combustion leak down?!?!?
    Sorry, what's a leak down?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 03 gtx sc key issue after new ecm installed
    By jimfleming88 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM
  2. 97 GTX starting problems
    By JayZ in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 12:24 AM
  3. '97 GTX starting problems ... AGAIN (new thread)
    By Wildstyle in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 08:54 AM
  4. 97 gtx start problems
    By bigh62 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM
  5. idling rough after riva intake install
    By Insanediego Joe in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •