Red face Help me choose a doo!

Hi, guys/gals. New member here. I have owned 2 yamaha 500's in the past and 2 seadoo 97 GTI's. I am currently looking at getting back into the water. I am looking at a 96 XP 800. The guy only wants 1k for it and the trailer. The bike is beat up a little bit but seems functional. Are there any inherent design flaws with these bikes that I should look for? I am going to test drive it tonight?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post
    Hi, guys/gals. New member here. I have owned 2 yamaha 500's in the past and 2 seadoo 97 GTI's. I am currently looking at getting back into the water. I am looking at a 96 XP 800. The guy only wants 1k for it and the trailer. The bike is beat up a little bit but seems functional. Are there any inherent design flaws with these bikes that I should look for? I am going to test drive it tonight?
    Welcome to the forum.. The old XP's where fun ski's.. Not real sure about the design flaws but you can check the oil(make sure it's the right color) and inspect for heavy salt water damage. Being a older ski, you'll most certainly have to replace the normal wear items to make it perform like new.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.. The old XP's where fun ski's.. Not real sure about the design flaws but you can check the oil(make sure it's the right color) and inspect for heavy salt water damage. Being a older ski, you'll most certainly have to replace the normal wear items to make it perform like new.

Good luck
    Thanks Alex,

This is a river ski (im in saint louis) so salt water shouldn't be an issue. I hear talk of checking the wear ring. Is that the metal ring around the impeller? I am going to bring a compression tester with me, I was told to look for around 150psi per cylinder. Is there anything else I can look at/for? I know the vts and the speedo aren't working, and there are some gouges and repairs in the hull so I will be making sure it doesn't take on any water.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post
    Thanks Alex,

This is a river ski (im in saint louis) so salt water shouldn't be an issue. I hear talk of checking the wear ring. Is that the metal ring around the impeller? I am going to bring a compression tester with me, I was told to look for around 150psi per cylinder. Is there anything else I can look at/for?
    The wear ring is a very easy swap, don't let that influence your purchase. I'm not a big two stroke guy, you could post in the sea doo two stoke section and get better results

Thread Information