Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    price to change tires and bearings

    what would you guys estimate to be in appropriate charge for replacing two tires and bearings. does tires for 112 bearing kit for 60 and 2.5 hours of labour at 95 per hour seem excessive? I had originally taken it in with one bad tire the guy called and said he was getting such a screaming deal he would just replace both. THe other tire was only a month old. anyways this is just the second part of my bill that i'm trying to straighten out.

    Also does anyone know the approximate shop time to replace a carbon seal and check engine alignment?


  2. #2
    To HE77 with Georgia!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    97
    For that price, I'd learn to do it myself.

    The price on the tires is highly dependent on the size. Some small trailers oyu can buy $30 wheels with tires already mounted. Larger ones could reasonably be much more expensive.

    I'd measure the bolt pattern on the wheels, and note the numbers on the side of the tires, and go to WalMart to look if they have your wheels. If they don't have the tires already mounted, I'd still ask them about mounting new tires and also repacking wheel bearings.

    If you have a local marine shop, you're likely to find everything you need to take care of the bearings yourself. Use the jack from your car and some bricks or blocks of lumber to set the trailer axle on, and do the bearings yourself.

    Ask yourself if the labor cost of having someone else do it is worth not having to do it yourself.. that's really how the economics should go in your head. For me, I like working on these things, so even paying $70 to have my bearings changed is too much to me, so of course $250 is too much.

  3. #3
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_Rambo View Post
    For that price, I'd learn to do it myself.

    The price on the tires is highly dependent on the size. Some small trailers oyu can buy $30 wheels with tires already mounted. Larger ones could reasonably be much more expensive.

    I'd measure the bolt pattern on the wheels, and note the numbers on the side of the tires, and go to WalMart to look if they have your wheels. If they don't have the tires already mounted, I'd still ask them about mounting new tires and also repacking wheel bearings.

    If you have a local marine shop, you're likely to find everything you need to take care of the bearings yourself. Use the jack from your car and some bricks or blocks of lumber to set the trailer axle on, and do the bearings yourself.

    Ask yourself if the labor cost of having someone else do it is worth not having to do it yourself.. that's really how the economics should go in your head. For me, I like working on these things, so even paying $70 to have my bearings changed is too much to me, so of course $250 is too much.
    +1, on doing this yourself. Walmart has the bearing rebuild kits (which include new seals), and my local store also has trailer wheels w/tires already mounted.

    Trailer bearings are replaced needlessly, by dealers, everyday. There is nothing wrong with installing new ones every season...if you do the work, and just buy the parts. There are basically only two patterns out there as to rims...5 lug, and 4 lug. 8" tires will be 4 lug, and you can have the 12" rims in both 4 and 5 lug. If you currently have the 8" rims, it is very easy to upgrade to the 12", and enjoy the peace of mind that the larger tire will give you on the highway.

    Doing this at home will get you a little greasy...but that's what being a guy with a PWC is all about!

  4. #4
    Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Outer Banks, NC
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    There are basically only two patterns out there as to rims...5 lug, and 4 lug. 8" tires will be 4 lug, and you can have the 12" rims in both 4 and 5 lug. If you currently have the 8" rims, it is very easy to upgrade to the 12", and enjoy the peace of mind that the larger tire will give you on the highway.
    I beg to differ there... I have 8" rims that are 5 lug on my trailer.

  5. #5
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
    I beg to differ there... I have 8" rims that are 5 lug on my trailer.
    That's cool...never seen that!

    My point was that it is easy to go with a larger rim, on a trailer. And that a mounted rim and tire can be as close as your local Walmart. My guess is that the 12", 5 lug, rims at Walmart would fit your setup perfectly.

  6. #6
    Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Outer Banks, NC
    Posts
    1,393
    Oh, yeah... Absolutely. Trust me, I even found it odd that mine has 8" rims with 5 lugs.... Overkill if you ask me!

  7. #7
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXJeepGuy View Post
    Oh, yeah... Absolutely. Trust me, I even found it odd that mine has 8" rims with 5 lugs.... Overkill if you ask me!
    Judging from your avatar...maybe underkill!

    Your ski looks every bit as heavy as mine (around 720 lbs, plus fuel and gear), and I had nightmares about my original 8" tires hauling a** down I-10. I could go outside and get the load ratings for the 12" tires I now run...but let it suffice that they are a whole lot more capable of 'hauling the groceries'.

    Just my opinion...ain't worth 2 euros.

  8. #8
    Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Outer Banks, NC
    Posts
    1,393
    No sir... Dry weight is 470. 500 +/- with full fuel tank.. The tires have a 590 lb. rating. The trailer weighs practically nothing...

  9. #9
    To HE77 with Georgia!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    every bit as heavy as mine (around 720 lbs, plus fuel and gear)
    I love having a 520 lb dry weight!.. until I try and keep pace with the 700-800 pounders in the chop.

  10. #10
    Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Outer Banks, NC
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_Rambo View Post
    I love having a 520 lb dry weight!.. until I try and keep pace with the 700-800 pounders in the chop.
    I have no problem with that at all... Get a Shred Master ride plate!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 95 sl 750 - how hard is it to change starter and bendix
    By SpectraBrite in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 04:08 PM
  2. My wesco trailer has 8" tires and I want to change to 12"
    By crackofdawn in forum Towing and Trailers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 01:05 PM
  3. price to change tires and bearings
    By laith11 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
  4. Is someone still changing out washers and bearings??
    By GYTWYPT in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
  5. how to NOT change your wheel bearings
    By N8R in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2006, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •