1200 D Plate Question

after some advice please guys/girls. Have a 2002 xlt 1200 with 74 hours and thinking about removing the cat. I have read on here it is recommended cos when they breakdown they can cause expensive problems but also have read it improves performance.

My q is does it improve performance and if so how much and is it mainly holeshot or top end (or both ideally).

I understand that you remove cat, add D plate and chip with new gaskets etc, is it a straight forward DIY job, i.e. bolt on and bolt off or will the engine need to be set up differently ?

Many thx

ok, i just installed the d plate on my 2001 Gp1200R and i am very happy with results. between my new prop, 150psi head, and the cat removed and installed the d-plate, i gained about 10 mph. i went from 58mph stock to 68.6mph on the gps. plus my machine roars without that cat in. but neways, its a very straight foward removal and install. the hardest part is getting the stinger exhaust off. but my first time took me almost an hour, the second, took me less than 10 minutes. very easy, just remove all the bolts from the exhaust that are connected to your engine block, and remove the rubber coupling down by the firewall and your good. hope this helps

+1
    It's a simple job that is bolt in and go, no tuning.
    As for performance, you will actually loose a few rpms but the throttle response will be somewhat better. You will be happier with your acceleration and will not notice the very small top end difference.

Quote Originally Posted by daeths View Post
    after some advice please guys/girls. Have a 2002 xlt 1200 with 74 hours and thinking about removing the cat. I have read on here it is recommended cos when they breakdown they can cause expensive problems but also have read it improves performance.

My q is does it improve performance and if so how much and is it mainly holeshot or top end (or both ideally).

I understand that you remove cat, add D plate and chip with new gaskets etc, is it a straight forward DIY job, i.e. bolt on and bolt off or will the engine need to be set up differently ?

Many thx
    I recently installed D-plate and chip and had no problems at all getting the stinger out although others have commented that it was a PITA! I do not believe it improves performance just reliability. I cannot not tell personally because I did multiple bolt-ons at the same time
    BTW I reused my gaskets and everything else can stay like it is.

i did mine the only thing done at the time it does make a difference but i also reused the same gaskets didn't take long at all if it blew out i would check my waterbox for the remaines of the cat thats where i found mine
    Quote Originally Posted by roost5o View Post
    I recently installed D-plate and chip and had no problems at all getting the stinger out although others have commented that it was a PITA! I do not believe it improves performance just reliability. I cannot not tell personally because I did multiple bolt-ons at the same time
    BTW I reused my gaskets and everything else can stay like it is.

+1
    when i added the d plate i did nothing else sounds louder bottom 0-15 is slower top 40-55 is faster.

i also put a free flow exhaust on mine when i changed the d-plate mine picked up went from 57 to 63mph and more out of the hole i took the hose coming off the waterbox cut it in half after removing all of it and used a piece of 3 inch pvc worked great and didnt have to spend $120 on a hose and pipe got like 3 bucks in it and like 1hr of time

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    I had my stinger out when I replaced mine in my 2004 XLT. Removal of the stinger is the hardest part, once that is done the cat comes out and the plate goes in no problem.

I did not notice any performance increase, the sound is different louder at low RPM's and I reused all the gaskets without any problems.

Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by chriswatson2004 View Post
    i also put a free flow exhaust on mine when i changed the d-plate mine picked up went from 57 to 63mph and more out of the hole i took the hose coming off the waterbox cut it in half after removing all of it and used a piece of 3 inch pvc worked great and didnt have to spend $120 on a hose and pipe got like 3 bucks in it and like 1hr of time
    Cheers everyone for their responses and help, much appreciated. Will defo be doing it and will be interested to see the speed difference if any (but hope it does )

Chris, also have a freeflow with a setback 12/18 impellor. Are your no.s GPS or dreamometer, if GPS I will be well chuffed to get that sort of speed I beat a couple of FXHO's on glass couple of weekends back, looks like I should be setting my sights a little higher now

Thread Information