Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,022

    Lightbulb R&D Grate Smooth

    Ok well I am about to put my grate on my P-X and well I was just not happy with how rough this thing was so I decided to get a little anal retentive...

    Factory



    Factory



    Grinded and polished smooth as a baby's butt...........







  2. #2
    Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    9,202
    +1
    673
    Should help... but you should have tried it stock first and got some numbers I filed mine razor sharp on both sides... then polished

  3. #3
    Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Should help... but you should have tried it stock first and got some numbers I filed mine razor sharp on both sides... then polished

    Well Im going to do this 1st and then I am going to start modding this grate based on some info from a undisclosed source....Will see what I get but I was told to do this 1st so thats what Im going to do....

  4. #4
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    nice work!

  5. #5
    Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    9,202
    +1
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcustoms View Post
    I am going to start modding this grate based on some info from a undisclosed source
    No need to hide secrets here

  6. #6
    i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NOVA - Pohick Bay/Lake Anna
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcustoms View Post
    Well Im going to do this 1st and then I am going to start modding this grate based on some info from a undisclosed source....Will see what I get but I was told to do this 1st so thats what Im going to do....
    ??say wha??

  7. #7
    Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    nice work!
    Thanks......It took forever to get those inside beads smoothed out

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    No need to hide secrets here
    Not hiding just pro-longing a little awhile until results are in...
    No real secret much either just hasn't been put out on the boards much...I would say its not something you could search for. It has just come up on some other posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by 08255 View Post
    ??say wha??
    I tell you what....When I 1st got it..I looked at and thought there is no way that water is going to run through this very well....Its more like a water brake. So out came the file set, dremel tool some long wet sanding and then a polish coat and there she is...

    It just seemed right considering that you want to tru it up if you want to get better flow off the grate....

    And I had 2 guru's give me some advice as to some modding of this grate so I am going to test like it is now and then I am going to try some ideas that were given to me....

  8. #8
    REID2168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    8,156
    +1
    241
    the first and only benefit that comes to mind with smoothing out the exterior surfaces of the grate is less cavitation because of less water turbulance off a smooth surface ILO of a rough surface .........u gotta figure a rough surface could create air bubbles/turbulance in the water and air makes cavitation ........period! good luck and keep us posted Gun!

  9. #9
    Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    the first and only benefit that comes to mind with smoothing out the exterior surfaces of the grate is less cavitation because of less water turbulance off a smooth surface ILO of a rough surface .........u gotta figure a rough surface could create air bubbles/turbulance in the water and air makes cavitation ........period! good luck and keep us posted Gun!
    Thats the exact same thing someone else said REID meaning hopefully we wont have that much cav problems at takeoff. But if we do I have a fix for that........

  10. #10
    REID2168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    8,156
    +1
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcustoms View Post
    Thats the exact same thing someone else said REID meaning hopefully we wont have that much cav problems at takeoff. But if we do I have a fix for that........
    if u r looking to DRASTICALLY reduce holeshot cavitation u need an after market drive shaft seal and a stainless wear ring .....those two things will drastically reduce holeshot cavitation......then adding your smooth grate will help IMO the whole set up a bit more!!!!!! PERIOD! keep us informed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS - Parts 09 R&D FX intake Grate & PPK
    By 1_Fast_SHO in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2016, 08:01 PM
  2. SHO grate on smooth water?
    By nashvegas in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 08:10 AM
  3. Grate trued to rideplate
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 07:59 PM
  4. found out what my rxp is running with the intake grate
    By kenshin89 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 02:09 PM
  5. Intake grates
    By SUPERBEAST in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •