Rebuild,Reman, Buy another

I have a 2001 800xl and it has been diagnosed as having an inside engine problem causing it to only crank over occasionally and still not start. From other people that have used this dealers services have told me, I do not have any reason to doubt there ability or integrity. My question is tear down rebuild worth it or is it better to buy a reman engine and if that is the case, should I go to Yamaha or one of the aftermarket companies. Or, just bite the bullit sell it for parts, technology has been improved and buy something newer and perhaps go to 4 stroke.

Honestly I don't know if I would put the money into an 800. See if they will give you a good trade on a new ski

Quote Originally Posted by JD800 View Post
    I have a 2001 800xl and it has been diagnosed as having an inside engine problem causing it to only crank over occasionally and still not start. From other people that have used this dealers services have told me, I do not have any reason to doubt there ability or integrity. My question is tear down rebuild worth it or is it better to buy a reman engine and if that is the case, should I go to Yamaha or one of the aftermarket companies. Or, just bite the bullit sell it for parts, technology has been improved and buy something newer and perhaps go to 4 stroke.

Buy a 1200 reman engine and pop it in there... You will have an 800xl sleeper!!

Quote Originally Posted by krenzema View Post
    Buy a 1200 reman engine and pop it in there... You will have an 800xl sleeper!!
    Not so easily done, the motor mounts don't line up.

further info

Thanks for the replies, I just got back from the service shop and the news is not good. It appears something let loose, sometimes it cranks slowly and sometimes it won't crank at all. They separated the drive system and eliminated that from being a possibilty. Without taking it apart to determine what actually is the cause, best estimate is a proper rebuild or reman engine will cost about $2500. I put $2500 in a $3200 machine, do a rebuild myself (I am able to do mechanical things) maybe it would cost me about $1800 or buy another machine and part this one out. Decisions,Decisions.

Thread Information