Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Winterizing, Gas tank full or empty?

I hate to say this but it is time to start thinking about winterizing my jetski. Damn do we have a short season.

Anyway, I did a search on Winterizing and seem to be getting Two points of view. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38912
    SO is it better to fill up the gas tank or do I empty it?

The service manual suggests to pull the fuel pick up and check/clean the screen. How many of you do that?

Does that RV antifreeze contain that glycol stuff that is poisonous to animals? Don't want the local dogs to start dying after licking the residue that will be on the driveway after I flush it. Cats OK, dogs no.

snapper455
    . That thread by cris is OK except put a rubber ball in the air horn as well.. if you are not going to drain the tank. fill it up with 93 octane (no E85) you want the fuel pump under gas. or it will rust and gum up. DO NOT PUT stabil in the tank this is not a 2-stroke there is electronics in the tank!! Now for you (best option)!! At some northern dealers they pump all the gas from the tank and blow all the fuel from filter and fuel rail after fogging the blower and motor. I would not worry about cleaning the sock on the fuel pump. Use orange not green antifreeze. Remove the line from top of intercooler and pour about 1/2 quart in as well.

Bobby McCarty G-force crew chief
    Last edited by snapper455; 09-04-2008 at 11:52 AM.

As low as possible, use Star-tron for whats left..

Why Not

Quote Originally Posted by snapper455 View Post
    . DO NOT PUT stabil in the tank this is not a 2-stroke there is electronics in the tank!!

No Stabil??? Why would you say this? There are electronics in cars, and bikes and two stroke gas tanks.....How is this any different? Just want to understand the science behind this

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by snapper455 View Post
    . if you are not going to drain the tank. fill it up with 93 octane (no E85) you want the fuel pump under gas.

That 93 octane will be just a useless as any other octane after sitting for 5-6 months.

Last I heard sta-bil was re-formulated to work with 10% ethanol, but I don't trust it as much as star-tron.

Just run it as low as possible, stabalize whats left with star-tron and fill it up with fresh 93 in the spring.

+1

Cool

fill up, use sta-bil we been doing motorcycles for years like that(fuel pump in tank )with no problems

late cd

snapper455
    IF the gas in your area has no alcohAL in it, or your tank has no water in it (this is a jetski we are talking about not a motor cycle atv mule monstor truck car airplane or lawnmower!!!!) Just pure gas in it you will be ok. The stabil will not mix with alcohal it makes untreated metel tanks rust and terminats electric fuel pumps. up north most gas has 10percent alcohal and e85 has 85 percent alcohal. The main prob I got from Briggs and stratton the company that makes stabil is that people always put to much in the tank. 87 octane will sit in a full 20 gallon sealed tank for 5 months just fine and 93 for 15 months. I am not aware of a new stabil fomula for 10 pecent with gas.

Now for you (best option)!! At some northern dealers they pump all the gas from the tank and blow all the fuel from filter and fuel rail after fogging the blower and motor.

If I am not mistaken, the manual says use sta-bil. I stand to be corrected as I don't have the manual in front of me.

+1
    DAMN!!
    All this talk about winterizing.... it's depressing me.. I dont blame DRTBK,, he has to get ready for all those big whitetails and muleys up there(i think).
    When i Winterized last winter.. in did include STABIL and i left 1/4 tank of 93-4 I had no ill effects... at least none that i know of..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information