Thread: Winterizing?

Question Winterizing?

i live in alberta CA and the winters here are harsh, how do i winterize my SLT 700, i understand that i need to fog the engine? but i dont know how can anyone help me?
    Darren.

First you need to buy some fogging oil, spray can type. Remove the flame arrestor(s) from the carbs. Crank it up on the trailer and spray fogging oil down each carb throat till it dies. Then remove the spark plugs from each cyl and spray liberally down into plug holes. Turn it over a few more times and the motor is fogged. At this point I would also spray the outside of the motor and pump with some sort of protectant such as silicone spray.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you looked in the 1992-1998 Polaris Service Manual?

Also, searching on the Polaris forums here should produce lots of info on winterizing. More here.

thanks for the replies
    yes i have looked at the manual but my computer crashed and i lost it.
    so basically i am flooding the engine but with oil.
    how would i remove the oil after winter? do just tip the pwc and spin the shaft with the sparkplugs removed as if it was waterlogged?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bossd View Post
    thanks for the replies
    yes i have looked at the manual but my computer crashed and i lost it.
    so basically i am flooding the engine but with oil.
    how would i remove the oil after winter? do just tip the PWC and spin the shaft with the spark plugs removed as if it was waterlogged?
    Download the Service Manual again.

You are not filling the engine with liquid fogging oil.

Just a heavy oil misting/spray coating on the insides, not puddles of liquid in there. Fogging oil is rather sticky, so once it has coated the engine internals, it will protect the engine.

All you are doing is spraying enough oil into each carb throat for it to coat everything in the crankcase. A short spurt into each spark plug hole takes care of the cylinder tops and piston rings. Rotate the motor to spread that oil around, and hand tighten the plugs to keep debris and moisture out.

Before you fog the engine, put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, fill the tank with premium gasoline (preferably without Ethanol in the gas), and ride the machine for a few minutes. This gets the stabilized fuel into the fuel lines and carbs.

Remember to run the engine on the trailer after your last ride, and burp the throttle firmly a couple of times, to push excess water out of the exhaust system and exhaust waterbox. No need for the garden hose connection, as this should only take a few seconds.

Tip the nose of the trailer up high, if you can, This helps drain water out of the engine and cooling lines.

Come springtime, crank it a few seconds (battery well charged) with the spark plugs out, and some rags over the holes. Once it is not longer spraying much liquid out, put the old spark plugs in, tighten to spec and connect the plug wires.

If the gasoline was stabilized before storage, and the engine was run long enough for the stabilizer to work into the carbs, it should start without too much trouble.

It will smoke quite a lot until the fogging oil is burned off. At idle, it will take a long time to stop smoking. Don't bother.

Once you are sure it can start reliably, take it to the water. Within a minute or two of riding it above idle speeds, the fogging oil and the excess smoke will be gone.

Once the fogging oil is burned off, it is a good idea to put some new spark plugs in. The fogging oil can sometimes muck up the plugs, and fresh spark plugs are never a bad idea.

thanks for the info

Thread Information