Speed of a 2000 Carbed Genesis

Working on dailing in the carbs on a completely stock 2000 Genesis. Plugs are new, compression is great... what should be my top end at WOT with a single person on board?

thanks, just cant' find any specs for this thing

Scot

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Focus on peak sustained engine RPM first. Once you have the engine turning as it should, you will have all the power that you should have.

Then you can use a GPS to measure maximum sustained speed on smooth water.

The built-in speedometer is not highly accurate at high speeds, and generally reads higher than you are really moving. In the mid-speed range, the speedo is typically more accurate.

What RPM are you seeing right now at the top end?

What condition are the impeller and stator blades inside the jet pump?

RPMs and condition

RPMs are just under 6k at the highest, but at WOT it backs off to about 4900 and the ski slows down... it seems to surge a bit as well. Everyone has pointed me in the direction of a carb rebuild so I'm trying to get an idea of what I should be aiming for.

I ran on the water with another boat on GPS and the ski will hit 48 mph at the 6000 RPMS and down to about 37 at the bogged out WOT.

I just bought the ski so I have no prior experience with how it should launch and how it should run as a new or at least well tuned ski.

As far as the impeller, it looks like brand new as far as I can tell. The stator blades... well I must admit that I wouldn't know a stator blade if it bit me in the ass?! The ski has never sit in water, never seen salt and has 105 hours if those elements are any indication of condition. I have no idea??

Brand new to the PWC thing... Worked on motortcycles my entire life, so I have the tools and ability, just zero knowledge of these things.

thanks for the help - this is a great forum.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrake View Post
    RPMs are just under 6k at the highest, but at WOT it backs off to about 4900 and the ski slows down... it seems to surge a bit as well. Everyone has pointed me in the direction of a carb rebuild so I'm trying to get an idea of what I should be aiming for.

I ran on the water with another boat on GPS and the ski will hit 48 mph at the 6000 RPMS and down to about 37 at the bogged out WOT.

I just bought the ski so I have no prior experience with how it should launch and how it should run as a new or at least well tuned ski...
    Definitely get that carburetor issue fixed! You can do severe damage to a high-output PWC 2-stroke engine in short order (minutes) by running it with inadequate fuel delivery.

Don't run it until you get the carbs cleaned and working properly.

You should be seeing around 6800-6900RPM at WOT, and speeds just under 60mph. In addition to the low top speed, your acceleration is probably less than it should be.

If you haven't already, be sure to download the Polaris 2002 Service Manual from here.

Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    ...Does it have the grey Tempo brand fuel lines?...
    Edit: Staflight reminded us about those grey Tempo fuel lines!

Tempo fuel lines that were installed at the factory for a many years turned out to be defective. They degrade internally over time, and release a green goo that clogs up the carburetors. If you find any greenish goop inside the carbs, then you should replace all the fuel lines in the Virage.

In fact, even if the carbs don't have any goop inside, you should still consider replacing all of those eight year old fuel lines with new.
    Last edited by K447; 06-19-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Green Hulk! I didn't find any info on the 2000, but I would guess the carb'd 2002 wouldn't differ too much from yours. Heres a link to the 2002 manual. http://jmfiskin.com/manuals/
    2002's rev limit is 7200. i would think you should be around 64-6500 at wot if all is well. You said the compression is great. How great is it? What r the numbers? Carb problems is my guess. Dirty internal strainers. Does it have the grey Tempo brand fuel lines?

Edit: Damn im slow.

hope I haven't done any damage...

The compression was somewhere in the mid 130 region if I recall and all three cylinders were withing a couple of pounds of each other.

However, that was before I ran the ski for about 6 hours with it acting up!!!! I'm going to recheck the compression this weeked and will post the results.

If I have done any damage, is the compression test the only way to detect it, or do I need to pull the jugs and take a look?

Thanks on the fuel lines, I do have the Tempo lines. Do I need something special for PWC use, or will a high quality auto fuel line do the trick?

Thanks guys, if you ever make it to West Virginia, the beer is totally on me.

Scot

+1
    The comp. test is a good for checking the health of the engine.
    You can use a good flexable automotive fuel line. Thats what I used.

Carbs out the door

Compression is between 133 and 135 on all three cylinders so I haven't blown anythying apart!

Carbs out the door to Randy at WATCON.

Question - Should I pull the reeds out and inspect/replace while the carbs are off?

Scot

+1
    I would recommend checking the reeds.

Thread Information