$200 50hr service. Worth it?

I did a search but nothing came up. I just hit my 50 hours on the 250X and I checked the dealer before bringing her in to see if I need a loan to pay for the service j/k. Apparently they are charging $200 for this. I asked them what do I get for my $200? They said that they will change the oil and filter and just do some checks. I can probably do the oil and filter change but what else do I need to check to ensure that my ski stays reliable? Also another friend of mine told me that I do not have to change the oil filter until a year or 100 hours. Is this true?
    My ski is about 8 months old and I am still enjoying her as evidenced by the amount of hours she has. I need to keep her reliable. Thanks for all your help.

+1
    Hey,
    Welcome! I had the same question as you had... I paid right around the same as you did... they changed the oil, tighten this and loosened that.. Lubricate anything that moved..I don't know enough about these thing to do it myself.I had to have someone do it. So you pay. You know what? when i'm out on the water the money i spent for what i get out of it you can't buy that kinda happinness..This way if something goes wrong... I spray my throat and like i do with my truck I go into the dealership Lungs first...

Buy a service manual and it will tell all. I feel alot better working on my own ski. Its so easy to drop something in the hull and I dont want anything to lodge under the oil pan.

+1
    I actually bought a manual too. I got it just so i have an idea on where things are and the basics of how this thing works!
    Dont get me started on dropping anything....

Is it ok to just change the oil (no filter change) and just check exhaust clamps to make sure that nothing is loose?

Quote Originally Posted by billas 250x View Post
    Is it ok to just change the oil (no filter change) and just check exhaust clamps to make sure that nothing is loose?
    NO!
    - Change oil & filter
    - Check all hose clamps, bolts, etc.
    - Take all electrical connectors apart and clean and add dielectric grease
    - Check supercharger oil level
    - Check supercharger belt tension and belt for wear.
    - Remove S/C belt and check bearings in S/C and pulleys
    - Remove pump and check impeller clearances. Check bearings for any noise or play. If the wet pump mod was done, change oil.
    - Apply lubricant/oil to throttle cable, linkages, etc.

These are just some items off the top of my head. Your best bet is to buy a service manual. Most items are pretty easy to do yourself. If I took mine to a dealer I wouldn't be confident enough that all the proper things were done and would end up doing it myself anyway.

Ok so I finaly bought me the service manual so I can perform the service myself . I hope that changing the oil filter is easy. Can I still ride her while I am waiting for the manual to change the oil and do the service?

I dont see why not.

AMEN KMAN! Thats the way to love one!

Thread Information