Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SLT 1050

SLT 1050

Ok I know if anyone can help it is you guys. I recently aquired a 96 sltx 1050 with a holed mag piston.( I took it because from my experience I know it is a lack of fuel. but the fuel system is not the same as my 750 and 650. which both have triple pumps. ) ...this one has a pump on the mag carb and a pump on the pto carb and i take it those 2 feed the center carb. (am i correct on this?) so what causes the hole in the piston on the 1050. it is the red engine so therefore it is not a fuji it is the newer style... I found all carb low screws were out 1 full turn. spec says 1 7/8 turn. would this alone starve it for fuel and hole the piston?......
    Last edited by scottr2200; 09-04-2008 at 07:18 PM.

I was looking at the wrong manual. i just read it is 1 full turn out. so the carb settings are correct. could the fuel pump be bad? when i was checking the jets which are all stock I noticed the gas in the carbs was pretty blue. this ski is still on oil injection. the fuel should be clear inside the carbs correct??

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Is the fuel in the tank blue? Does your ride have the grey Tempo brand fuel lines? How did the strainers in the carbs look? On the fuel inlet side of the carbs is where you will find the strainers.

i pulled gas out of the tank and it is natural color. no blue what-so-ever.
    the strainers in the carbs are clean. (at least on the one in question, I havent made it thru the rest of them yet). the lines from the mag carb to the center are grey, and the pto to the center are grey. lines feeding to two outer carbs are black and all lines look original. they will all be replaced before it runs again with clear lines so i can better see what my flow is doing.

+1
    Are you still at a point that you can check the crank index? How'd the wash pattern look on the 2 good pistons? Did the pump diaphram look ok on the carb in question? Fuel lines looked ok(no kinks or cracks), and tight clamps? Could the blueish fuel in the carbs be stained from the lines breaking down. How long did the boat setup before you recieved it?

it was purchased brand new in 98 (although it is a 96) came from a dealer. ran fine and holed a piston years later. owner fixed it ran another year holed another one. had it fixed again, 2 hrs later holed another. he decided he was done with it. it sat since earlier this summer. maybe 2 months..... How exactly do i check the crank index? i have the cylinder and all the exhaust and carbs off. just the other two jugs are still on. he says it has never had water in the hull and was running great before this all started.......lines are all kink free. should i just order a new fuel pump for that carb just to be safe? or should i rebuild it. I just want to cover all my bases while i'm here....

have not yet opened the other two heads to see the wash pattern.

+1
    The shade tree way of checking the index is bring any piston up to top dead center, and measure the distance down to the other 2 pistons, and the distance should measure the same. You can measure down from the top deck of the cylinder or if the domes are on, from the top of the dome through the spark plug hole.
    The accurate method, would be w/ a degree wheel. Attach the wheel on the pto coupler, and zero it when a piston is at TDC. Spin the engine till the next piston is at TDC, and it should be at 120 degrees from the 1st one. The last piston should TDC at 240 degrees on the degree wheel.

wasnt this the reason the came out with the update kit ?

i sent you a pm about a oem piston kit , i also have some std bore oems as well

so how does this sound. I will rebuild and clean all carbs and fuel pumps, change all fuel lines, replace bad piston and rings, check crank index and if all these are done and good should this fix the problem?... please all give me some feedback who have been thru this before... Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information