Nikasil Cylinder Scratches - GP1200R

I recently bought a cylinder for my GP1200R off ebay and it isn't in as good a shape as I was hoping. It has some light scratches in two areas. They are not deep (but I can feel them) and I was just going to put new rings on the piston, which is in good shape.

I am not real familiar with this Nikasil Cylinder material and wanted to know if I could lightly wet sand it with say 400 or so to smooth it out some.

Is this OK to do or a no-no

thanks

+1
    Post up a pic. Alot of times the cylinders will get some dark marks at the exhaust port and where the ring end gaps are. The number one thing you want to watch out for is the plating wearing through. best way to test this is with muriatic acid on a q-tip if it bubbles and turns black it is aluminum. A lite hone can be done but it requires a diamond hone for the plating.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Post up a pic. Alot of times the cylinders will get some dark marks at the exhaust port and where the ring end gaps are. The number one thing you want to watch out for is the plating wearing through. best way to test this is with muriatic acid on a q-tip if it bubbles and turns black it is aluminum. A lite hone can be done but it requires a diamond hone for the plating.
    I also have one with some slight scratches. I can feel them with my finger nail. Any thoughts on where to send it for repair.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Bill

Will one the Aluminum Oxide Flex-Hone's from www.enginehones.com do any good for simple dressup on my 3 nikasil cylinders without any scratches ? I just want to put new pistons and rings , pins Etc ?

+1
    The ball hones are not good on two strokes as they round the corners of the ports. If the cylinders are fine just clean them up with scotch brite.

+1
    millinium plating is the place to go...check them out

Thread Information