+1

Starter Failure: cable not hot?

Hi everybody! Been having a great summer with the skis, but I never swapped that starter in the '92 SL650/750. It's only refused to start twice, and both times it eventually began working again, just a few minutes later.

But I thought this odd: when the starter button is depressed, the solenoid definitely clicks, but the cable to the starter doesn't get hot. Is this still a starter issue?

I was going to open the electrical box and be sure I was getting power off the solenoid, but then the starter began working again, so I couldn't complete my test.

I know, I'm dreaming that my job will be a simple solenoid swap, instead of the pig of a starter swap.....

Michael

it won't get hot if it has a non connect situation inside the starter or a connection ( there won't be any load on it at all )

ps just carry a multimeter and next time it does it poke a lead thru the start cable and see what u have? and dbl check your grounds

Its most likely the solenoid, mine did this as well.

The starter cable gets hot? That dosent sound good...

+1
    No, the cable doesn't get hot, which it ought to, if you're holding the starter button down for 10 sec, and the starter isn't even turning. Or at least that's what I expected.

Michael

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A new solenoid is not expensive, and easy to change. Install a new one.

Either the problem gets fixed, or you will then know where the problem is (starter or starter connections), and you will have a reliable new solenoid that you know will be good for years.

+1
    Cheap? Are you kidding? I mean, I know the Canadian Loonie is pretty strong right now, but.....

3240109 SWITCH, MAGNETIC 85.98

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Cheap? Are you kidding? I mean, I know the Canadian Loonie is pretty strong right now, but.....
    3240109 SWITCH, MAGNETIC 85.98
    Hmmm, I said that without actually checking the price for the older style solenoids

I bought a new solenoid for my 2002 Virage recently (different part number), and it wasn't nearly as expensive ($28 ).

If it turns out you need to replace the solenoid, would the 3240204 solenoid (used in 1996-2001) work in the older 650/750 electrical box?
    $57 at Babbitts...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Hmmm, I said that without actually checking the price for the older style solenoids

I bought a new solenoid for my 2002 Virage recently (different part number), and it wasn't nearly as expensive ($28 ).

If it turns out you need to replace the solenoid, would the 3240204 solenoid (used in 1996-2001) work in the older 650/750 electrical box?
    $57 at Babbitts...
    Good, i payed $40 for a used one off ebay from a 95... I couldnt find them anywhere! (didnt even look at new, lol)

OP, you could at least try to open it and clean the contacts. You need to remove it from the box, desolder the two contacts on the top where the wires go to, then unscrew the two screws and it opens up. You can see one large copper bar that connects to the two contacts on both sides. They will be black and pitted. Get a piece of glass and some 220 grit sandpaper, wet the sandpaper and put it on the glass grit side up. Remove the contacts and sand them on the glass until it looks decent and put them back and reassemble.

If it clicks, this is essentially guaranteed to fix it, but is going to take 30 mins.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I'd bet it's a bad spot in the armature(or dirty). Easy to find out.Throw a test Pick(light)in the glove box,when it acts up,Just poke the starter cable,then hit the start button,no light-bad solenold......light - starter.

If it's the starter,pull it and disasemble,clean the armature,check per service manual,grease the bearing and bench test.
    Even alot of the BAD automotive starters are really just dirty armatures. Same with altinators.
    I have a good solenold,I'll ship you for $40.00.

+1
    Umm, yeah. About that. Apparently my version of disassembling the solenoid includes it never working again! D'oh! Unsure what I did wrong, but the outcome was an OL reading on the coil wires. Must've broken one of the wires down inside.

The contacts were really, really bad on my solenoid, by the way. Very pitted and covered in carbon.

Fortunately, ModTodd82, a member on this forum, is a local SeaDoo mechanic at a dealership here. I was in the shop, bouncing ideas off him, and he reminded me of his post some time ago, where he adapted a SeaDon't solenoid to his Polaris. So I did that, $35 and an hour of my time. Works great! I mounted it externally, as the unit is too large to fit in the Polaris E-box. I just hung it off the bolt for the grabrail above the E-box.

So we'll see if that was my issue.

Thanks everybody for the help!

Michael

Thread Information