+1

The Low down on 10% Ethanol Gas

So I have heard to stay away from it from my Ski and my own personal vehicle. Is it really that bad and if so what gas and from which place is preferred.

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There have been several recent threads on Ethanol, in several forums here.

Do a search for Ethanol, lots of good info already posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    So I have heard to stay away from it from my Ski and my own personal vehicle. Is it really that bad and if so what gas and from which place is preferred.

Thanks!
    In Northeast Florida I am to the point where I cannot buy gasoline that does not have ethanol in it. So I buy it and run it...I've experience no problems but it's too early to see any long term damage from it in my ski.

This bit of info I found may help you. I posted a two part tech article describing some of my findings. You may find it useful. Not long after posting I had a message come in from a guy whom had experienced exactly what was posted for fuel related problems. One person mentioned that ethanol has been around for a very long time...while it is true, it has been around nobody or very few used it when it was first introduced. There wasn't much info about it and as he mentioned until in recent years it has just became a reality. I think what he didn't take into account is that small engines never really used it until the reality came, and because of it, fuel related small engine problems have grown extensively. I have switched up to 89 in everything I own and have noticed a substantial improvement. My truck being the most, it was getting horrible fuel mileage and knocked every now and again, since changing up to 89 it has been a world of difference. It's amazing how two points and a few different additives can make such a change. Here's the tech link.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71886

Ethanol Tester

I bought an ethanol tester. It's basically an open ended tube, much like that used to check aircraft fuel tanks for water. It is pre-marked for water and gas, which you add, then cap it and shake for 30 sec. If ethanol is present in the fuel, it absorbs the water in an amount proportional to the percent of ethanol. You read the result directly on the side of the tube. Based on samples of local gas, it is accurate. Shell V-Power (in my area of Virginia) is alcohol-free. It is now the only gas I buy.

ethanol hurts MPG, as it contains less power per unit volume than gasoline. ethanol actually raises octane.
    It has been around for a long time, and will not hurt your performance. At E10 levels, your seals and related engine components will be fine.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    if you think that is bad, you ought to try bio-diesel. I have to change fuel filters on my harvest machinery every 200 hours. it gets expensive when you have to change filters for 3, 12.5L I-6 engine with 3 filters on it. pluys the filters on the fuel truck and the bulk storage tanks!
    I think the worst part of it is that when I put gas in my truck I have to buy back the ethanol that I basically created by producing commercial corn.

I've heard that here in Ontario...maybe everywhere for all I know, the DOT have been pulling over vehicles that are diesel and testing the fuel...if they find it is bio-diesel they hand you a fine because you didn't pay tax to produce the fuel. How pathetic is that? That's just as bad as saying, you didn't buy that bottled water, you purified it yourself therefore you must pay tax for it, so here's your police authorized money donation slip

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    I've heard that here in Ontario...maybe everywhere for all I know, the DOT have been pulling over vehicles that are diesel and testing the fuel...if they find it is bio-diesel they hand you a fine because you didn't pay tax to produce the fuel. How pathetic is that? That's just as bad as saying, you didn't buy that bottled water, you purified it yourself therefore you must pay tax for it, so here's your police authorized money donation slip
    Actually its not bio-diesel that they are testing for. they are testing for taxable diesel(clear) and off-road diesel(pink) If they find pink in anything but farm equipment you get fined. The State (DOT) was checking all diesel pickups coming out of the county fair and was handing out tickets. they also base your ticket on mileage. some of the older trucks that had 300k on them were paying a hefty fine because they assumed that they were using it for all the miles that they had driven...bunch of crap. A guy I know got a 4,000 dollar ticket like this. He eventually got it reduced to $500 but that is still a lot and a lot of court and lawyer costs too!

Thread Information