Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

turbo water jacket?

water jacketing for turbo? i understand you really need this if using a turbo and dont want do melt ski?
    any links as to where you can buy these?
    does the manifold also need to be water jacketed?or if thermal coated and heat wrapped and jacketed turbo would this be ok on say a gt28rs running16-18psi?or would i be able to use stock manifold with turbo flange?
    lastly where do you plum the water jacket in to on the rxp? i presume you can keep it closed-loop and the heat exchanger will cool it ok?

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1

turbo

easiest way is to turn j pipe upside down and weld a turbo flange onto it this way your water jacketed up to the turbo.
    a water/oil cooled turbo is all you need you dont jacket the turbo itself.
    we just wrapped the pipework after the turbo and injected water about 8-10 inches after turbo and ran a turbo blanket and had no issues with heat and ran 18-19 psi
    as for water you use the outlets from the exhaust j pipe there are 3 holes to block at the end of the pipe so you weld in another outlet just before your turbo flange you can keep closed loop cooling system just upgrade thermostat

+1
    well that would certanily save alot of hassle using stock j-pipe!

so in what order does the colant run?engine-j pipe then?heat exchanger?
    also how did you inject the water after the turbo?do you mean its also jacketed in the closed loop system or what?

+1
    I've been using Frank's (Stickem) setup on the past several builds and haven't had an issue with overheating the ski.

Several precautions have been taken including water injection after the turbo and blanketing the exhaust housing.

I've personally logged 15 hours on Gameover's conversion and not had one heat related issue.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    I'm not so sure that jacketing the turbine housing itself is needed. Here are my issues with using the J-pipe though. You limit the mounting possibilities of the turbo meaning it's closer to the hull than could be done with a different mid pipe. No matter that you use to feed exhaust to the turbo you should not let the pipe itself support the turbo. We're talking 10-15lbs of the turbo being supported by the pipe (and the J-pipe with it's flex coupling) in an envirionment a lot more harsh than an automotive application. To each his own and not dogging anyone elses work since there have been few if any complaints on the setups available.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I've been using Frank's (Stickem) setup on the past several builds and haven't had an issue with overheating the ski.

Several precautions have been taken including water injection after the turbo and blanketing the exhaust housing.

I've personally logged 15 hours on Gameover's conversion and not had one heat related issue.

what do you mean by water injection after the turbo?in what way do you do this?and what provides the water?is it part of closed loop system?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by baba850r View Post
    what do you mean by water injection after the turbo?in what way do you do this?and what provides the water?is it part of closed loop system?
    Its part of the open loop system that cools the exhaust manifold, J-pipe and turbo. It V-bands on the system right after the exhaust housing and cools the remaining part of the exhaust.l

+1
    when i mounted my turbo kit i made this lil bracket and had two mounts added to j-pipe itself by Frank when i ordered it and u could literally stand on my kit and it never budged one inch after i adhered this to the floor with jb weld and adjusted it just tall enough to put upward pressure to the j-pipe and support it completely...........good luck fellas!

p.s. i angled it when i made it since i had it setting right in the indention for the water box and that part of the hull is angled so in the hull the adjustable shaft and eyelet are straight up in the air vertically! BET!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo brkt.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	92766  

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Nice touch Reid.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    yes we also run a rubber mounted bracket to support the weight of the turbo.
    the exhaust manifold runs open cooling from the factory you see the rubber hose joining the manifold to j pipe this has open water flow then the water exits the j pipe on the top which will be the bottom when turned over for turbo, then there are 3 holes in the end of the j pipe to cool waterbox etc you block these and replace them with a fitting on the outside of the pipe so you take the one and run it through the turbo and then dump out the back of the ski like stock and the other you use to inject the pipe after the turbo (by inject we mean add a fitting to the pipe sp the water goes in and cools the pipework.
    this maens the closed loop system remains untouched so dont get confused with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information