Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For those Carpenters/ Engineers out there

So I am trying to hang an Outdoor air chair on my screened in porch and have run into a bit of a delema. The Ceiling is plastered over so the beams are not exposed and I am trying to find out the best way to hang the chair. The chair is rated to 250 pounds so the mount must do the same. Would a Large I hook screwed into a 2/4 beam be sufficient? If not what other options are there?

If you interested in the chair I got if for a total of 23 dollars off an ebay store and the quality is excellent I am very Impressed!

http://stores.ebay.com/CANDO-NEPTUNE

it would work in my opinion!( not ideal) but you would have to be dead center of the 2x4
    and I would avoid mid span and keep closer to one of the load bearing ends
    ,also I would not be spinning or rocking allot but the worst that can happen is you fall 2 feet
    other options involve removing some plaster and installing a 4x4 or something substantial between 2 of the 2x4's then attaching to that

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post
    So I am trying to hang an Outdoor air chair on my screened in porch and have run into a bit of a delema. The Ceiling is plastered over so the beams are not exposed and I am trying to find out the best way to hang the chair. The chair is rated to 250 pounds so the mount must do the same. Would a Large I hook screwed into a 2/4 beam be sufficient? If not what other options are there?

If you interested in the chair I got if for a total of 23 dollars off an ebay store and the quality is excellent I am very Impressed!

http://stores.ebay.com/CANDO-NEPTUNE
    I have two of those, good when you go camping if you can find a place to hang it, I've had it it fall down twice when I thought it was hooked up good.
    An I hook screwed into a 2x4 didn't hold long for me, a couple days.
    Last edited by ski pimp; 09-05-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Did it just pull right out? or do some serious damage? And what have you now done now that seems to work better?
    david

Banned User
    Did it just pull right out? or do some serious damage? And what have you now done now that seems to work better?
    david
    Yes it more or less pulled out and split the 2x4, they're in a box in my RV, I only use them when I go camping, usually hang it from a tree branch or something real strong.

well crap........... now im stuck again what to do what to do

Here come the smokers! OBXJeepGuy's Avatar
    Wow, you must live in a REALLY old house if you have plaster....

If the porch is an extension of the roofline, then the joices will most likely be larger than a 2x4. If so, find them with a stud finder. Consider using a long lag bolt to fasten the chair to the joice. Another product to consider
    is the toggle bolt. They are mostly for drywall but are available with tensile strengths greater than 300 lb. Finding a length sufficient to pass thru the wooden joice, and allow the anchors to pop out, is the trick. If all you have is 2x4's in the ceiling, and they're reletively close together, there is a telescopic bolt mount available that will mount between two joices for support. Two 2x4's is better than one. (this is similar to the telescoping joice mounts used to mount ceiling fans). However, installing this will leave about a 4" diameter hole in the ceiling bottom that will need to be dressed. Just some ideas.

+1
    well crap........... now im stuck again what to do what to do
    Learn how to patch the rock, Cut out the plastir board secure a 4x4 between the two supports thru bolt it patch the hole and get a 250 pound it to hang from it! Done

+1
    Don't breath any dust from the plaster if you cut it. It will have asbestos in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information