Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

IJSBA director's desk.

This thread is dedicated for questions about the IJSBA, and will be answered by the IJSBA director Scott Frazier.

If you have questions about the technical, set-ups or schedules for racing around the world, this is the place to ask the director. It will not be a place to whine, moan and complain about getting robbed from a win at a regional race nor will it be a pounding post to hit the director for making decisions at a race. You will be thrown from the Island in short order if this happens.

This is for educational and technical advice concerning the IJSBA from Scott.

If you need contact Scott directly: [email protected]

Racing is where this sport has grown from humble beginnings..to the new beginnings for the future.

We welcome Scott to the best Yamaha forum on the planet.

+1
    Scott:
    Just thinking out loud here, and getting the ball rolling.

Has there been much consideration given toward spec-racing?

What I'm asking is, why not have classes similar to other boat racing in which the main ingredients are weight, boat size, and engine size?

Personally, I believe simplification could solidify the race scene, as well as make it feasible to have a true "run what ya brung" mod class. Interestingly enough, some of the fastest boats on the planet hang out on both the GH boards, but neither has a legal qualifying place within the IJSBA community.

Example: If I go and drop a RXP engine down in a GPR hull, since the engine and hull aren't made by one company, it's not mod-class legal. it's too bad there isn't an open class (size, weight,cc limit) to run in. I think there are many folks with various backgrounds that could make a great racing scene even better.

Seperately, the current condition of "Stock" class, seems to keep drifting toward "Limited." Did the stock class shrink or grow with the current rule set changes?

Hello Mark,
    Thanks to Mike for calling and offering this opportunity to talk with your forum. My goal is to check in every Weds.

Just to answer a few of your questions:

Has there been much consideration given toward spec-racing?
    Yes there has been. When I took the seat at the IJSBA, I was surprised to learn about the amount of things that had been discussed, contemplated, and even advocated for internally. Many good ideas never come into fruition mostly because of opportunity and feasibility. The problem is that we never knew that these things were being thought about.

A "run what you brung" mod class is a good example of a good idea that is difficult to turn into reality. The idea is that we dont have barriers and innovative people can come out and compete with whatever engineering they could muster up. But, when you try to implement it, you run into problems.

The biggest problem is safety and inspection. Safety has to be a number one priority. People making elaborate modifications will show up and be subject to a safety review. People that fail these safety reviews will have the unfortunate incident of not knowing that their invention is deemed unsafe until it is completed and reviewed. Even within the rulebook people have had their creative efforts stifled due to safety concerns. I have seen this from simple things like people who tried to tie or Velcro their hands to the handlebars to elaborate things like exotic sponsons with sharp and protruding metal edges. Anybody remember Fish's metal cage he tried to build on the outside of his runabout?

Another problem is actual participation. How many people will really keep up the fight to keep dumping money into an exotic class where anything goes. You will end up with only 4 or 5 people that will keep this up for any length of time. Harry Klemm has a great idea for a spec class for older stand ups. You always get a lot of people to talk about it, but when I started working to implement the class there were few people actually willing to dump money into these outdated, poor handling, older PWC. I still have my 580 limited, I used to dream about bringing the class back. Now that I have the opportunity to d such a thing, I have to balance the same responsibilities as my predecessors- how much time and effort do I put into creating/reviving a class that has a very poor outlook. Opportunity cost is important.

A third problem is support. Youre just not going to get a whole lot of support from the OEM's and aftermarkets when you arent running classes that showcase their products. Yamaha isnt interested in what we can make a Waverunner VXR do. Novi isnt interested in sponsoring a class where someone is affixing a 2 bbl Holley carb to PWC. Not that the OEM's and aftermarkets are the reason we do things, but their support makes things happen. Its not that there isnt a place for these things, its just that the place for them probably is not a closed course race as we understand them to be.

I know this was kind of a tangent, but I want to use this opportunity to kind of show you guys how we (myself and IJSBA board) think and talk about things.

Anyhow, we have alot of positive changes and new innovations coming along. I predict that there will be some type of "no limits" drag competition at this year's WF. There is room for more- maybe even a run-what-you-brung class, I certainly dont want to say its not possible. It is just difficult to fit things in, especially when we are trying to find home for 4-strokes, keep life in 2 strokes, and keep classes open for sport boats and 800's.

I'm willing to discuss anything, especially Miller High Life being the title sponsor of WF. Look for this post to be edited if I get a different beer sponsor- which I most certainly will.

Scott

ps- oops forgot to respond to your stock class comment.
    I think we need to put the brakes on further stock class mods.
    The purpose of the stock class was for people to be able to buy a PWC from the showroom floor and bring it to the race with little or no mods. Some manufacturers have done a better job at making stock competitive boats than others. This has caused some to want to "level the playing field" by allowing for more mods. I, personally, do not agree with the sentiment. If the PWC isnt competitive in stock but modifying it will make it competitive, then race limited. There is no shame in racing limited.

+1
    Its not a seadoo... it's the "other" green machine

2006 rules

Scott

When are the new rule changes going to be posted on the web site?

tonight I hope
    They are done, I am waiting for a language correction. If I dont get it by tonight I will post them they way they are.

Scott

Just sent it to the webmaster for publishing.

Stock class rule changes

6.4.8 When Four-Stroke and Two-Stroke Ski PWC are combined in the same Stock Class then the IJSBA may require that those Four-Stroke Ski PWC which are not normally aspirated (Turbocharged or Supercharged) shall be affixed with a restrictor plate to the engine. The IJSBA will give 90 days notice of such a requirement and shall have the restrictor plate available within 45 days of such a requirement.

How does this relate to the runabout division? It appears that you may limit the RXP's and such with a restrictor plate but when I read the above text is states "Ski PWC". I am of the opinion that the supercharged four stroke is an unfair advantage in the stock class when compared to an XPL or GPR without any modifications. The Pro-Am class seems to work its way out with rider skill vs just horse power but the novices are struggling and the normally aspirated engines are poorly represented. The rider base in region 7 used to come from younger financially challanged (crappy job, party too much, kids) people. With the cost of these four strokes approaching $11,000, and needing one to be competitive, where are our future runabout riders going to come from?

+1
    Scott,
    Can you speak about the European "GP" class? This sounds like an answer to those of us with grafted craft...as long as you make 2.

Scott

Any word on getting a region 4 promotoer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information