97 Sl1050 Starter Question

Hey, I've been rebuilding a nice 97 sl1050 for the past week from the ground up and i am nearly finished but when i go to start up the ski it will just make a click...im thinking that the starter is bad but i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a ground that is supposed to be hooked up to the starter as well?? I only hooked up the positive wire to the starter so im not sure if theres a problem there or not?? I just got done fully charging the battery so that is fine and the bilge pump will turn on if i hit the button but the motor will not turn over..if you could help me out that would be cool..thanks.

UPDATE....

ok i think i got that solved..now i have an issue with it not sucking gas...i just found a brass fitting at the bottom by the carbs and there is nothing hooked up to it?? Im guessing that this is where the fuel pump gets its pressure from?? Could anyone help me and tell me where i run the fuel line from this to??
    Last edited by cubsfan2516; 09-07-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    No ground needed on the starter, its bonded to ground when ya bolt it up. Is the connection clean and tight on the bed plate? Just for chits and grins I'd check for volts on the batt when you try to start it. If thats good, next would be to check for volts going to the starter.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure the starter body has metal to metal contact where the two mounting bolts hold the starter to the engine block.

If there is paint between the starter and engine, you might not have proper contact, especially if you used Locktite on the mounting bolts, which can electrically insulate the bolt from the block.

ok i think i got that solved..now i have an issue with it not sucking gas...i just found a brass fitting at the bottom by the carbs and there is nothing hooked up to it?? Im guessing that this is where the fuel pump gets its pressure from?? Could anyone help me and tell me where i run the fuel line from this to??

+1
    fuel pump gets pulse from the crank case, not the carbs. post pics. most likely it is the oil input lines from the oil pump. Did you block and run premix????

got the issue with the fuel pump taken care of..had the ski up to 64mph easily and it was still accelerating but the water was rough..i plan on getting the oil block off plate this week..i have to mess with the impeller though it somehow got loose from the drive shaft and was grinding a little bit but didnt do any damage so i will post an update tomorrow when i get that fixed...

Thread Information