Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1

So Who All Here Has A Scanner??

A Police Scanner that is.

I got a whole Network Setup here in my Room. I got 1 for Mil-Air, 1 for Fire, 1 For Police, 1 for Federal, and another one that covers them all. Basically, I don't miss a damn thing goin on.

What's fun to listen to is during a Big Storm, all the Mayhem, Downed Trees, Floods, ect... that are goin on. You really wouldn't believe all that goes on during a really Bad Storm. It's pretty intense.

Then also on the Weekends in the Summer out here, you hear about all the Outta Towners getting Busted, all the Bar Fights, and all that.

But yea, if you don't have a scanner, you should get one. They are VERY addicting.

You can find all the Local Freqs. to Program in at radioreference.com or just Google your County or Town Name and type in Scanner Codes or Frequencies.

where do you get a scanner at and whats the price range? Basic Police Fire Rescue type deal?

+1
    They're all over Ebay, I personally like Uniden Scanners. They've been around for a while, and are awesome.

Search Ebay for "Uniden Scanner". You'll get ALOT of results. The best beginner one is the BC350C. It comes pre-programmed for the most common Nationwide Freqs. whether it be Police, Fire, EMS, ect...

The BCT15 is the next Level up. Comes pre-programmed also, but lets you put in your own Freqs. also, so you can narrow it down and get more Talk and less Silence.

+1
    What's a good hand held model?

Last I had one was years ago and they were converting the radios over to a trunked system. I also remember reading about some systems going digital and those were unable to be scanned as well. Do you have any problems with any radios you can't listen too?
    A side note here. I had a cool app for the computer that would decode all the pager messages. You'd set the scanner to scan the pager freqs and hook it to the sound card input. The program would decode all the pages being sent, text and numeric. I am sure you can still do it, it was based on the POCSAG protocal the pagers used (use?).

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    What's a good hand held model?
    Radio Shack Pro-96. It received digital, is pre-programmed for different parts of the country, and you can program it using a very cheap program called Win-96. Plus, there are Yahoo groups for this scanner that have all kinds of files that others have made for there part of the country that can be downloaded into the scanner with a cheap serial cable(not included), and the Win-96 software(also not included).

+1
    The Radio Shack ones are pretty good. The 96 like said, is pretty nice. But like I said, I'm all Uniden now. My Portable Handheld now is a Uniden BCD396T. Picks up all the Digital, Trunked, everything, unless it's Encrypted like some of the FBI and Gov't stuff. It'll still come through, it'll just sound like the "Nextel talking under Water" sound. It'll be all bubbly and you'll only hear parts of it.

Banned User
    +1
    Yea, the Unidens are good, just a little more pricey than the RS model. Also, I think the Unidens are computer programmable, but come with the cable and there own software.

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    Picks up all the Digital, Trunked, everything, unless it's Encrypted like some of the FBI and Gov't stuff. It'll still come through, it'll just sound like the "Nextel talking under Water" sound. It'll be all bubbly and you'll only hear parts of it.
    Cool, looks like a new scanner is in the works for me!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by inothome View Post
    Cool, looks like a new scanner is in the works for me!
    ditto.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information