Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Compression down & nipping help please?

Hi everyone,
    Ive just purchased a 2000 XL1200Ltd and had a few problems on the first few rides.
    Took her out, went well for about an hour, came across Dolphins so switched off and watched for half hour started her up and all good.Got to the beach went in for lunch came back to the ski and dead no turn over at all.
    Got a jump start, started first pop took off and cruising along for about 4 mins flat out and it just dies, like I knocked the lanyard out..just stopped from 95kms and glided to a hault.
    I thought I may have knocked the lanyard, so re started no worries and off again then a few mins later again it dies.Once again started her up first pop took off and again dies this time it wouldnt start.
    Got a tow in and when at the ramp thought Id try her and she turned over again?
    Took her home staright away flushed quickly..then tried to examine.
    The third spark plug has a green tinge to it? the others normal.
    Found a bit of oil in the hull the oil breather hose come off too.
    Took the head off, and found the 3rd cylinder is scorched, very minor but there and cylinder dry like too much fuel going though.Please refer to pics...I chatted to a few friends and they said it sounded like it "nipped" and me re starting it would have done the cylinder damage.
    Can anyone explain what nipping is and why it occured, Ive got two new Pro X pistons, and cylinders on the way and dont want this to happen again.
    Also found a big exhaust leak too, thats all sorted though now.
    I`m a newbie to sitdowns ride stand ups normally so this is all new to me.
    Any advice would be great.
    The ski has Wave eater clips Carbon tech reeds(brand new) free flow exhaust jet works launch controller , PV Couplers,re jetted 44 mikuni carbs,hod rods crank, new pump with Solas 13/19 Impellor, computer matched stainless wear ring, trued vane and balanced shaft.
    Hope this all helps
    Thanks
    Danie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2256.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	92990

Name:	DSCN2252.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	92991

Name:	DSCN2250.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	92992

Name:	DSCN2249.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	92993

Here is a pic of all three..

Name:	DSCN2251.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	92994

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    what was the compression before you tore down? the cyl looks ok to me, piston doesnt look too bad either.... never heard the term nipping,

Just another thought Danie (we have spoken elsewhere)----does that engine have a shaved head or a head to give more compression?
    If so you need to be using premium fuel.

+1
    I think by nipping he probably meant you seized the motor - piston got too hot and melted a bit on the side of the cylinder

while the head is off I would suggest you rotate the crank (use the couplers by the intermeiate shaft to do this) and inspect all 3 cylinder walls - you are looking for any physical damage, scrapes, gouges etc

in the pictures it looks like there may be some damage on picture 92993

if one of the cylinders is damaged just confirm it here and if you need help someone will step you through the repair procedure

this may not be what you want to hear but I would also suggest those carbon tech reeds are notorious for breaking and chipping - even though they are new you might consider replacing them with the OEM reed assembly from a 2003 to 2008 GP1300R

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    that makes sense, i would think with all those mods there is a hi compression head of some type...

Quote Originally Posted by the gos View Post
    Just another thought Danie (we have spoken elsewhere)----does that engine have a shaved head or a head to give more compression?
    If so you need to be using premium fuel.
    No Goss, no head work done. And I also use premium fuel too in the ski, not even the car gets that lol

+1
    welcome to the forum Danie

I would also inspect to see if the oil injection lines are still attached as you mentioned oil in the hull.

Thanks for the welcome
    Ok, so I`ll check the reeds in case too, Im not sure of the compression prior to this happening as I bought it off a friend so no need to test.
    Its a stock head apparently, also both times Ive gone to take her out to get her started Ive had to drop fuel down the pots and use a jump starter pack,Once this is done at home and I get to the water she`s right to go.
    First ride plugs fouled up but that was because I idled out a creek for 5 mins befoe I get to the ocean, that didnt happen the second ride but the third sparky had a green tinge to it??
    Any more advice guys would be great, also the third cylinder when you run your finger across the scorches are quite rough too.And it was clean as a whistle and bone dry unlike the others oiled up.
    Hope this helps with some more feed back,
    Cheers
    I have a ski mech doing the re build for me not touching this on my own

What are your thoughts on converting her to pre mix?
    Ive done this to my stand up as in my experience the pumps are a nightmare and lines coming off etc etc

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information