Question 15F leaking gas from vent hose

My 15f was sitting in driveway last night and leaked gas from the vent hose under the handle bars. The gas melted styrofoam under pad and warped footwell pads. Tank was not over full.

What would cause this and can the vent be moved inside the hull to prevent it from happening again?

Not sure of cause. I'll look tomorrow when i get to work. But whatever u do, DO NOT vent it into hull. I'll reply to u tomorrow.

+1
    presssure in the system, possible clogging

u cannot and i would not recommend u put the hose inside the engine compartment as gas will leak and fumes in there also will = kaboom !!!

the overflow/vent hose is purposely placed at the highest point possible...hence the handlebar area. on older kawis there was always a one way valve on the fuel tank, dont know if newer ones have this same system, havent looked.

why its building pressure and throwing so much fuel out i dont know specifically but you are going to have to look around and do some investigating.....

let us know what u find.

Vent has restriction. This will cause pressure to build in heat of day, then at night a vacuum as temp drops. The sides of the tank will collapse in and naturally push fuel up to top of tank and out of tube. A big burp, so to speak. Look for a kinked or collapsed vent tube. There is a bulletin.

Sry, idk if i missed this but did you have the vent hose recall performed?

is the recall for 08's?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sixtydashone View Post
    is the recall for 08's?
    i dont think so....

the only way to be sure is to go to kawasaki.com

pick the drop down menu on the lower left hand side where it says "owners info"

then punch in the VIN from your ski, where it tells u to do so on the site....

if there are any service bullitens (recalls) it will show it in that section

+1
    I had the recall done on mine, but sometimes when I take the cap off to put gas in, the cap is very hard to turn and pops off when unscrewed because of the pressure in the tank. Isn't that what the vent hose is supposed to prevent?

Quote Originally Posted by trinityracing View Post
    What would cause this and can the vent be moved inside the hull to prevent it from happening again?
    It was doing what it was "designed" to do - venting it out.

Cause:
    The one-way check valve opens up when the fuel tank's internal (fume) pressure is at around 5 psi. Your fuel tank somehow exceeded that (high ambient temp, seat not lifted up during storage, high level of fuel in the tank, etc.). The fule level doesn't have to be 100% full for this to happen because of the shape of the tank and the location of the venting system on the tank. And also this depends on the angle of the ski during storage, like nose up.

Prevention:
    Open up the gas cap before the storage to deflate all the pressure that might have built up during riding and trailering. If this continues to happen, check/replace the one-way valve which might be opeining up at lower psi.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    It was doing what it was "designed" to do - venting it out.

Cause:
    The one-way check valve opens up when the fuel tank's internal (fume) pressure is at around 5 psi. Your fuel tank somehow exceeded that (high ambient temp, seat not lifted up during storage, high level of fuel in the tank, etc.). The fule level doesn't have to be 100% full for this to happen because of the shape of the tank and the location of the venting system on the tank. And also this depends on the angle of the ski during storage, like nose up.

Prevention:
    Open up the gas cap before the storage to deflate all the pressure that might have built up during riding and trailering. If this continues to happen, check/replace the one-way valve which might be opeining up at lower psi.
    nice write up

Thread Information