Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Polaris fuel sender accuracy

On my Ficht fuel injected models, I have noticed that the fuel display reads full until at least 1/3 of the fuel has been consumed. From that point, it starts to drop, but it is unclear whether it is very linear.

This is not helpful when riding longer distances, as I need to mentally calculate the remaining fuel reading against the distance and time I have already travelled, to ensure I have enough fuel to get back to my starting point.

You can see some of the resistance segmentation in the third photo, but the float arm just doesn't reach up to the top of the tank, and the 'full' segment covers a fair bit of the upper arc.

I would like to know if other types of Polaris fuel senders are more accurate, from full to empty.

What size (diameter, length) are the senders that use a float contained inside an aluminum tube?
    I am wondering if I could adapt one to fit inside my Ficht fuel pump.
    Perhaps I could re-bend the sender arm to allow the float to reach higher inside the tank, without it hitting the tank wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180050b.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	636.0 KB 
ID:	93006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180059.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	93007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180049.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	93008  

the senders on the older units ( inside the extruded aluminum tube are pretty accurate do to the path they follow , I have a regular analog gauge hooked to mine and I trust it , my yamaha's uses a stepped float system and it stinks
    You hit the last bar and start freaking but you have 6 out of 13 gals left

+1
    The floats in the aluminum housings don't register a full tank either.
    Even if they did they are a 5 point screw mount and a much smaller diameter unit, probably 3 inch. I guess you could modify a plate to raise the level of the sender but then you'll never know how low the fuel level is as the sender unit is much shorter than that of your Virage/MSX style sender/pump.

Interesting problem...now it will bug me my first ride out next week. LOL

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I had the old arm float with the analog gauge on the 94. It was pretty accurate, but floated alot when riding. (fuel sloshing around) Had to come to a stop for accurate reading.

I then switched over to the aluminum tube hoping to "steady" the reading. That it does, but like yours, it reads higher than reality. While riding, it reads 1/2, then when I stop, it reads 2 to 3 bars and the light comes on.

Part of the reason I still use the reserve system.

+1
    After some measurements, it appears the Ficht fuel level sender signals full tank (33 ohms) for the top 40% of the tank (give or take).

Below the 60% level the segments are roughly equally spaced down (about 6-7% each), except for the lowest segment.

The float needs to be 11% of the way up from the top of the intake filter (17% up from the tank bottom) before it will show one bar on the display. I don't know how much fuel needs to be inside the tank for the fuel pump to not be sucking air.

What this means (if my math is correct) is that the visible range from one segment to seven segments only covers about 45% of the usable fuel level range in the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Ficht fuel sender segmentation 03.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	93026  
    Last edited by K447; 09-09-2008 at 03:50 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    ...like yours, it reads higher than reality. While riding, it reads 1/2, then when I stop, it reads 2 to 3 bars and the light comes on...
    The Ficht sender reads lower than reality, even when it reads 'Full'.

The fuel display doesn't drop to seven bars until about 40% of the tank capacity has been consumed.

The next 40% consumption marches down the fuel bars.

It shows zero bars when there is maybe (not sure how accurate this number is) 11% fuel remaining above the fuel intake filter.

I am wondering how much I could re-shape the float arm to lengthen the arc, so that the float actually touches the top of the tank when it is full.

I would rather have the fuel display drop to seven bars when I have burned off 1/8th (12% of the tank), not over 40%

Since all Ficht models use the same fuel pump and sender, I imagine they are all affected roughly the same way.

Thread Information