Marley Creek, MD

700 'fuel' pump; what to order.

Pretty sure my fuel pump died. Cut out a few times at idle, ran well at full throttle. Then eventually just completely died. Used the choke, it started and ran i little while, then just completely died. Took cap off of fuel tank, no pressure. Stuck in the middle of the water i opened hood, grabbed the 'ON' fuel tube and ripped it out. Pressurized it by mouth (is this the gist of a 'primer' on these skis?). Was able to get back to dock eventually, thanks to the handy telescopic paddle.

So what parts do i order to fix/rebuild/repair this pump?

Can i just order one of these (looks different to me): http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/fue...i_external.htm

Or do i go OEM and order #37, 38, 23, 24, 25, 19, 33, 20, 21, 26, 22 ????? (from 4-tec ---> oem ---->95 raider ----> carburetor)

Or should i just send it out to groupK and have them fix this along with removing choke and adding primer and porting out the carbs and doing whatever else they do? (and i'd probably send out parts for sleeper kit at same time) But i'd rather wait til' the season is over if this fuel pump can be an easy fix.

Obviously i have no clue how this pump works, have never dug into the carbs on these things.... yet. Anyone have link to a write up on repairing this thing?

Thx

+1
    The first thing I would do is be sure fuel is getting to the carb, the fuel filter, selector valve, lines could be plugged or kinked. Pull the fuel inlet line of the carb and suck on it with a turkey baster or other vacuum to see if you get a free flow of gas to it. Inspect all the fuel lines, check out Group K's tech article on how to check fuel system. (it should hold pressure). Also there is a little filter inside the carb. If the fuel pump is bad, I would order the original parts from like the Store online right here at this forum. The fuel pumps you had pictured will not work without lots of mods. I would clean the insides and rebuild the carbs on a boat as old as this one too. If you take them apart and they are clean, gaskets good, then maybe not.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel pump is built into the carb. Parts will come with the carb O/H kit.

I can rebuild these for you if you aren't comfortable doing the work yourself.

Say $40 plus carb kits if the carbs are not too corroded.

Marley Creek, MD
    I will check all that stuff, but i'm confident it's the pump (pressurizing by mouth did work, just gave up on it after first mouthful of premix). Gotta order some other stuff so i'm ordering carb rebuild kit anyway.

The carb repair kit (repair kit 2 on 4tec oem site) what all does that come with?

I'm confident in doing it, yank the carbs off the raptor fairly often (it get gummed up quick, plus i can't stop modding it) and have had many auto carbs apart, no problem. Just never seen such a 'fuel pump', but no worries, i'll figger it out.

Thanks

+1
    I am not sure what comes in the Yamaha repair kit. I normally use Mikuni rebuild kits. Not sure if Jerry's store sells them.

+1
    The Yamaha carb kit does NOT come with fuel pump parts, even though its part of the carb, and as a matter of fact, the Yamaha "fuel pump repair kit" for the 1100 triples which is a separate pump, doesn't come with the pump check valves, which is the most often bad part.

Marley Creek, MD
    Hrmmmmm, i thought this would be a no brainer. Glad i didn't drop the money on the kit just yet, since it wouldn't have had what i need.

Any links to what i need? We sure the mikuni kit has the parts, and got a link? Or do i just order what i reckon i'll need? o-rings, seals, diaphragms, filters/screens, checkvalves.

+1
    95yami you have a PM.

i have some mikuni kits for sale
    has all parts for fuel pump and carb body
    $35 each + shipping

Thread Information