Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

pulling 2 trailers with one car ??

Does anyone know the legalities as to pulling 2 trailers with one car, sort of like a train.

All I know is that in some states it's illegal and some it's not.

My Dad used a motorhome to tow a car dolly with a mini-van aboard c/w a 16' boat/trailer attached to the mini-van - essentially three trailers all the way from Mission, Texas to Manitoba Canada. He confirmed any legal issues and was informed that if all due dilligence was taken into consideration (suitable saftey chains on all vehicles and proper straps on the dolly in ddition to appropriate lighting) he would be legal.

Safe was another story - he had to stay below 70 mph, or the unit would start to fishtail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent View Post
    My Dad used a motorhome to tow a car dolly with a mini-van aboard c/w a 16' boat/trailer attached to the mini-van - essentially three trailers all the way from Mission, Texas to Manitoba Canada. He confirmed any legal issues and was informed that if all due dilligence was taken into consideration (suitable saftey chains on all vehicles and proper straps on the dolly in ddition to appropriate lighting) he would be legal.

Safe was another story - he had to stay below 70 mph, or the unit would start to fishtail.

I would think fishtail? Who does this, I'd like to know too...we have to take two vehicles to the lake to get 3 skis there...

I think a long tongue'ed front trailer with a shorter rear might be more stable - but I'm just guessing.

I would say that stiffer sidewall tires go a long way to reducing sway on any trailer (including on the tow vehicle).

I have have the same issue trying to get 3 ski's to the lake and not have to go in seperate cars . I dont mind when its local, but sometimes we go on rides that are 150-200 miles away. Its sucks to ride along !!

Quote Originally Posted by MIARider View Post
    Does anyone know the legalities as to pulling 2 trailers with one car, sort of like a train.
    I believe in FL you have to have a CDL to tow tandem trls.

+1
    I have hauled two double trailers from Kentucky to DC and back with no problems. Also, a double and single from Kentucky to Florida and back.

You just have to make sure the the receiver on the front trailer is square, so the back trailer tows straight. Plus make sure that your tongue weight is good on both trailers.

With two trailers just make sure you allow for more stopping distance.

tongue weight...

if best performance is obtained with 10% tongue weight, then what should you shoot for when connecting a second trailer?

I've found I can exceed 10% tongue weight on a single trailer and as long as the tow vehicle is ok with it (suspension-wise) then the trailer remains stable. Less than 10% tongue weight and the trailer starts to wallow.

Connecting a second trailer to the back of a properly loaded first trailer would certainly lessen the tongue weight on the tow vehicle... Should one shoot for 20% tongue weight on the lead trailer prior to adding the second trailer?

I pull two trailers with a dolly between them the purpose of the dolly is to take care of the weight transfer on the lead trailer. This setup also reduces the stress on the lead trailer frame. I did add electric disk brakes to the rear trailer so it would not accordian if i had to stop real hard.
    Oh yea i heard that it is illegal in fla to tow double trailers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information