Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Smile RXT-X Sponson Preference

I Have searched but not too much conclusive stuff.
    1- Which Sponson do you Closed Course guys and gals prefer to take the hooking out of hard, fast corners?
    2- Does the sponson scrub off or add speed?
    3- Which is the best if I keep the stock grate?
    4- I am assuming they all attach from the outside or external because trying to get to those holes inside would mean gutting the back half of the engine compartment! Thanks for your Info!!!

PS: I have read dozens of threads on the grate (Search) and still can,t make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I Have searched but not too much conclusive stuff.
    1- Which Sponson do you Closed Course guys and gals prefer to take the hooking out of hard, fast corners?
    2- Does the sponson scrub off or add speed?
    3- Which is the best if I keep the stock grate?
    4- I am assuming they all attach from the outside or external because trying to get to those holes inside would mean gutting the back half of the engine compartment! Thanks for your Info!!!

PS: I have read dozens of threads on the grate (Search) and still can,t make up my mind.
    1- Take the riva, in down position!
    2- They scrub, for a top speed run you have to put it in the upper position!

+1
    LEAVE the sponsons alone

Banned User
    +1
    I use the R&D sponsons for CC. I have them in the full down position. I tested them full up-then full down, and only lost .1 mph....that was back to back testing. They don't hook as hard as the stock sponsons on the initial turn in, but are more predictable, and more stable in the turn. And, they don't wash out.

I think you've already seen my video....I also have the auto-trim nozzle. I don't know anything about the Riva sponsons, but I'm sure they do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    I use the R&D sponsons for CC. I have them in the full down position. I tested them full up-then full down, and only lost .1 mph....that was back to back testing. They don't hook as hard as the stock sponsons on the initial turn in, but are more predictable, and more stable in the turn. And, they don't wash out.
    so...you are saying that with R&D sponsons the ride is stable than with stock ? if yes i think i'm gonna get a pair....

thanks, Peter

Banned User
    +1
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. The stock sponsons grab so hard on the initial turn in, that if your not ready, it will throw you off the ski. Not good. The R&D sponsons are much more predictable. The ski goes where you want it.

Don't know why, but I never liked the stock sponsons. I'd bet the R&D's are about like my Riva's.

Both perform pretty well I think and w/ the RE block-off's, they really make the boat look sharp too! Should come from the factory that way.

+1
    1- Did you lose any noticable top speed with them down Compared to Stock?
    2- Are they just bolt on from the Outside of the Hull?
    Sounds like they come before the Grate for ME..

Banned User
    +1
    I lost maybe 1/10th of a mile an hour on the GPS with them in the full down position. If you ride with two or more people, you should have them in the full up position.

They are bolt on from the outside. Takes about 10 minutes. The stock bolts are torx bolts if I remember correctly, so you may have to get a bit to take them off. Also, it only takes about 5 minutes to move them up or down.

1 more thing-30 day money back guarantee if you don't like em

If you get a set, please post up your results.

Regarding the sponsons, not to hijack the thread, but have a quick install question. Just bought a used set of R&D's and am having trouble getting them to seat up (top of backing plate is off hull by about 1/8" to 1/4"). I know that the hull inserts are a little different on the earlier model 4-TECS, which these came off of, but also know that they should fit my 08 GTXL. Am I missing something or is is just a matter of adjusting the inserts perfectly? Don't want to have them rip off at 70 mph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information