Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha VX110 cranks but won't start, after I tried to jump it.

I have a fairly new Yamaha waverunner, about 50 hours. I have it for 2 years, I keep it on the lake slope mostly out of the water, on a wooden slope stand. About 2 weeks ago, It would not start, due to bad or dead battery. First I tried using a 12 volt toy battery tricle charger and got the battery charged but still won't start. I also replaced the battery and it still won't start, I removed all the plugs and cleaned them up. They are fairly new, only 15 hours use. No spark either. I can crank it for 10 minutes but it will never start. If I cranked it with the charger connected in the water, would that ruin the engine, or distributor? I had some mechanic come out and he says that there is a part on the bottom of the engine that costs $500 labor to removed and the part costs $500 too.. I took the ski out of the lake and have it my garage now, but it will not start, only cranks. No spark at plugs either. HELP!

Wish I could help, my old XL700 would do the same and I would spray WD40 in the intake and it would fire right up.

The problem is non fuel. I even sprayed Starting fluid in the intake, but it won't start. It has no spark, I already tested that. I hate to throw away this ski, but I really do not have $800 to fix it. That was the reason I bought a new ski instead of a used one. What parts contol the spark generation and how much does each part cost? What is the most likely cost. I would rather change out the parts myself then pay this rip off mechanic. I am even worried that he may have switched out my computer box with a bad one when he " tested It" and I wonder how much that box really costs. Or is there really a start distributor on the bottom that is so hard to get to.

+1
    On one side bolted to the motor there is the voltage regulator, check that. This can stop the motor from giving a spark.
    Unplug it and see if the connections are ok, sometimes moisture can reach the connections and cause a problem, also check all fuses.
    If it rolls, then roll it and press the mode button, hold down for a few seconds, a number should appear. These motors, if like the HO has its own Diagnostic system. What ever number appears, look in a service manual and it will tell you what matches the number.
    Eg: #18 is the trottle position sensor.
    also the trottle plate might be too open because of faulty cable or trottle not returning to closed position
    Hope this helps.

Error Code 01

Thanks, I tried your advice and after about 30 seconds I say an "01" on the display.. So now what. I do not have an engine manual. Where can I get one. I tried asking at a Yahmaha Ski Dealer and they just told me to bring it in and they will take a look at. The problem is they charge $100 and hour just to look at it, plus they can't get to it for at least 1 week.

So If you can please tell me what "01" means, that may help. Oh and the part that my mechanic says costs $1000 to fix is the Stator. But my question is is that part likely to be bad on such a new Ski?

Error code 01

I'm not sure if all yamaha's are the same but,on a GPR that code means normal.Do a search in yamaha sub forum there are a lot of service manuals
    to check into. Good Luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

04' ultra 150
    07' VX 110

+1
    did you check all the fuses?

+1
    Try to remember if you made a mistake when connecting the battery or the charger. This might have blown a fuse or the CDI.
    1.Disconnect the positive wire for a few seconds and reconnect it, then try it again.
    2.Disconnect the stop wires briefly and check for fire.( it's a black and a white wire cnnected with a black plug) sometimes the stop switch on the handle bar can give a problem when its been exposed to the elements.

Thanks for your help so far, I am still looking at the engine carefully.

I checked all the fuses befind the weather proof screw cap. As far as I can tell they all seem to be ok.

I have been trying to find the stop switch wire, I looked everywhere for it but can't fiqure out exactly where to look for it. Do I check at the Handle bars or on the engine side? Come to think of it this could have been damaged when a rope got stuck around the handle bars, but maybe not?

Just wondering Is the CDI box the one that is mounted to the Left Side of the engine and the spark plugs are on the right side.

Where would this black and white wire be at? Is it toward the back - exahaust side or toward the front or intake side? left or Right?

Or Does the black wire go into the CDI box? Also I think the CDI box is the "computer" that the mechanic swapped out and it still did not start or have spark with either his box or with mine.

I hope I find it and I hope that this solves the issue.

+1
    The wires are usually up forward above the fuel tank in a cluster. You might have to access them through the front bin.
    If the mechanic did not bring a new CDI, the one he tried might have been blown. This is not too common in yamaha's CDI's but sometimes they do go bad.
    I asume you are checking for spark correctly,(ie: spark plug inserted into the cap end and then grounded on the engine).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information