Thread: Slx 1200

Slx 1200

Hey guys> Im new here so forgive me for the noob question.I have a 2000 slx 1200 that Ive had for a couple years. Im in sw Ontario and ride on L Huron. I like the power of my machine, but it feels like Im on a jackhammer most of the time. Even with the trim all the way down,its a rough ride, and it wont stay hooked up ,even in smaller chop.Im told a rideplate (and new intake grate) would help. Can someone tell me what a rideplate does,and if it will make a big difference? Im looking at the ones online (oceanpro) and with shipping will cost me around $170. Looking at it--I cant imagine it would make a big difference-but what do I know-not much.Im to the point where I wanna sell it an get a bigger machine,(I really like k447's Virage), but financially cant swing it rt now.
    This is the rideplate I found on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310058723999&ssPageNam e=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

Sorry for long post,,and thanks for help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Green Hulk Polaris forums

There is a limit to how much better the rough water ride can be with that SLX hull. It is relatively short, and flat bottomed, both of which contribute to the ride you are experiencing.

The longer the hull, and the deeper the V shape of the hull, the better the ride in rough water.

Having said that, a longer ride plate (the flat metal piece that sits underneath the jet pump) will help keep the rear up, and the nose planted, especially on choppy water. A longer ride plate effectively makes the hull longer in the water. The grooves or shape of the ride plate can help keep the hull tracking straight when crossing the waves.

The Ocean Pro 'Ocean' ride plate (aka OP O) is longer than the Ocean Pro 'Race' (aka OP R) ride plate. Longer is better.

I think some of the Polaris ride plates may also fit. If the stock Virage 'bat wing' ride plate will fit your SLX, that is an option. Last photo shows the bat wing ride plate installed on an SLTX (3 seater) hull.

I don't know whether the OP O or the Virage bat wing is ultimately better on rough water.

If you do change your ride plate, be sure to properly seal the ride plate to the hull, per the service manual. It is important that there be zero air leaks.

The jet pump intake grate, which mounts right in front of the ride plate under the hull, can also be changed to one that better stuffs water into the jet pump.

The R&D '650' and '750SL' intake grates are the most popular upgrade.

The 650 version (middle grate in my photo) has the somewhat smaller scoop effect, and comes in two variations, either two or three bars behind the scoop. The three bar version was sold by Polaris, but made by R&D, while the two bar version is sold directly by R&D.

The R&D 750SL intake grate has the more aggressive scoop blade, which helps reload the pump with water after bouncing off a wave.

Either of these will help keep your jet pump loaded with water, and will reload the pump quicker after you do get some air, with the 750 being the more effective of the two.

These scoop intake grates will reduce your top speed on smooth water (1-2mph), but will increase you top speed on choppy water (since the pump will stay hooked up to the water better).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180062.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	93260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180066.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	93261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180068.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	93262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris Virage 'batwing' OEM ride plate.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	93263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b04b_1.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	93264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-45 intake grate with Virage bat-wing ride plate Picture 113.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	800.9 KB 
ID:	93265  

Last edited by K447; 09-12-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks KK47. Amazing how helpful you are.No wonder why this site has such a good rep.

+1
    I was going to pick up a SLX 1200 Saturday, but due to the storm here that is cancelled. Maybe I should look for a better riding ski, since you say it is rough riding most of the time.

+1
    The sl hulls are very random as far as rough ride or porpoising. They all come out different from the mold...some have propoising issues while others are just fine. It's really the luck of the draw which one you ended up with. Definitely want the Ocean Pro O-ride plate...the longer one. You do not want the virage plate as it's no longer than your current stock plate and you would need to cut it down/modify it to make it fit. You also need to get the R&D small wing intake grate to go with the ride plate. I think you will see much improvement and really like the results.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

batwing

even tho it was a lot or work hands down the batwing was the best all around plate i had on the sl1050 of mine

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMN View Post
    The sl hulls are very random as far as rough ride or porpoising. They all come out different from the mold...some have propoising issues while others are just fine. It's really the luck of the draw which one you ended up with. Definitely want the Ocean Pro O-ride plate...the longer one. You do not want the virage plate as it's no longer than your current stock plate and you would need to cut it down/modify it to make it fit. You also need to get the R&D small wing intake grate to go with the ride plate. I think you will see much improvement and really like the results.
    I have a SL hull, is there alot of difference from it and a slx hull?

+1
    The SLX '99 and up (also the SLH model) have a flat bottom vs. the standard v-hull. This gives it a higher top end speed in smooth water but makes it harder to ride in chop or rough water.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMN View Post
    The SLX '99 and up (also the SLH model) have a flat bottom vs. the standard v-hull. This gives it a higher top end speed in smooth water but makes it harder to ride in chop or rough water.
    So in the two seat hulls there was the original SL hull (essentially unchanged from 1994 to 1998?), the flatter SLX/SLH 1999 onwards, and the 'sticks to the water' Pro hull.

For riding on less than very smooth water, would a 1998 SLXH then be the fast 2 seater hull of choice, if a PRO was not what you wanted?

Thread Information