Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

XPL studdered then died...

I had been out yesterday for a couple of hours when without any warning my '98 XPL did this little studder then died. It had been running great all day with no symptoms. So I pulled the key off and hooked it back up...nothing. It's like something in the ignition just isn't powering. I have checked the fuses and connections and we jumped the starter relay and it did spin strong. I am going to double check the connections in the box (fuses and such) but I am pretty sure everything is fine there. Could it be the Ignition Module or could the key be messed up (unlikely). Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks!

P.S. Oh, at the beginning of the year I had to replace the two fuses because of corrosion. At that point the beeper seems to have quit working. The battery is fully charged,

+1
    check your grounds, especially the main ground that goes to the starter.

I just checked the fuses in the MPEM and the top, 15 amp fuse keeps blowing, even without the key. Before it blew I held down the button and tapped the fuse holder in the electronics box and it tried to turn over, then the fuse blew. Almost sounds like something is grounding out.

Yeah, you're on the right track. There has to be a short to ground somewhere in the wiring. Sometimes the wiring needs to be repaired where it exits the front lid and into the hull. Another of places to check into is up under the front lid where the connectors are found for the digital display.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Stator...

The battery is staying charged as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lt1transam View Post
    The battery is staying charged as well.
    How do you know...if it won't start and run? Any battery will stay charged a few weeks sitting idle.

Because I wired my bilge pump to a momentary switch and right after the ski died I hit the switch and it spun hard like the battery has a full charge. We jumped the wires on the starter relay and the starter spun over strong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1transam View Post
    Because I wired my bilge pump to a momentary switch and right after the ski died I hit the switch and it spun hard like the battery has a full charge. We jumped the wires on the starter relay and the starter spun over strong.
    that's not how you check if a battery is fully charged. get a multimeter.

Just a FYI...the reason I said stator is because starter bendix shavings get caught between the stator and short out the 15 amp fuse you mention is blowing. This can either fry the stator or not.

You can argue with me or take the first step toward fixing your ski. Pull the front cover and verify if shavings are present between the stator and magneto.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information