Thread: GPS Mount

+1

GPS Mount

This came up in another thread, but I that it would be best to start a new one about this topic. I am looking into the 230 Wake, and looking for a place to mount a GPS unit. I don't know what specific GPS model I want yet, but just so you have an idea, something like this: http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...-chartplotters

I am looking to use this boat in the sea so, a GPS would be very helpful. I don't want one of the handheld ones, I want it to be mounted there all the time. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

+1
    If no body has GPS on their boats, how about VHF radios? Does anybody have them mounted? It doesn't even have to be the 230 Wake. If you have this stuff in your Sea Dooo boat, please post some pictures of the mounts you use and where you put them. Thanks!!

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    Garmin 76C, $110 on eBay. Plugged into 12V socket for primary power, with NiMh AAs for backup. Mount is Garmin marine mount.

That's not a great price for that GPS. Check Wacky's Deals on eBay--I got a 440S (WITH transducer--a lot of ebay dealers sell the "440S without transducer", which technically isn't an "S" model at all) from him for $550, before the $100 rebate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fishing 28 March 07.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	94259  
    Last edited by Steve762us; 09-13-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Edit: Comment on Boater's World pricing (ugh!).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve762us View Post
    Garmin 76C, $110 on eBay. Plugged into 12V socket for primary power, with NiMh AAs for backup. Mount is Garmin marine mount.

That's not a great price for that GPS. Check Wacky's Deals on eBay--I got a 440S (WITH transducer--a lot of ebay dealers sell the "440S without transducer", which technically isn't an "S" model at all) from him for $550, before the $100 rebate.
    All right, nice. Thanks for the picture! Yeah, I have to do some shopping before I buy anything, I was just using that link so you guys knew what I was talking about. What kind of boat do you have the 440S in?

1996 Sea Doo Challenger (787x1)
    Note that the 440S is loaded with coastal maps...I forget the model number for the one with inland lakes/rivers...420 or 430? One has Australia maps, be careful, Ranguh.

When I got the Challenger last year, I didn't know a ski boat from a center console. The Challenger let me get my feet wet with boating, so to speak, and I eventually decided to try my hand at saltwater fishing.

I have the 440S in a Triumph 150 center console...even tho it's nominally the same length as the Challenger, I gained +4' (engine compartment & swim platform) in useable boat with the Triumph...and no more gelcoat/glass annoyance. Fishing in the Challenger was like changing in a phone booth; I could do it, but it was a continuous struggle. Also, no room when you get something like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21 July Shark 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	94510  

+1
    Yeah, this would be my first boat, so I would like a pretty functional boat. I'm not much of a fisherman, but wouldn't mind doing it sometimes. I really want the boat for tube, skiing, wake, etc. I still have more research to do though.

Thread Information