Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

IMPORTANT: For guys who run on reserve

Having seached high and low for the cause of my recent light seizure on #3 cyl of my 1390: I like how my boat handles on 1/2 tank of fuel and less. I ride on a lake so range isn't such a big deal. I always switch to reserve when I get to 1 bar, which leaves alot of riding left before the buzzer. I was running on reserve, with maybe a 1/3 tank of fuel, and just finished a 1/3 mile or so high speed pass when I felt the power drop quickly so I shut it down. Seized #3. Looked for all the obvious, oil lines on, extra premix, new fuel filter and carb filters, leak checked for air leaks(none), 93 oct gas, ect, wash looking good, piston tops maybe a tad light but head wet and oily, bottom of piston clean and no sign of overheat, just a 4 corner seize.
    Today I decided to pull the sending unit to check the flapper, and of course it was warped. (are these maybe supposed to be, they all are it seems) THEN I SAW THE PROBLEM: The hole for the retaining screw for the plastic shell around the sending unit was keyhole shaped from the shell being jammed up it(maybe when produced as I've had this ski since new). This allowed the plastic shell to move up about 1/8" and put the bottom plate that the flapper is attached to flat up against the reserve fuel tube, severely restricting fuel flow when on reserve. The shell screw was tight, so this has always been this way, but the bottom plate was bulged out over the reserve tube end so it could have been at an angle a bit and let some fuel thru.
    So If you run on reserve, BEWARE, and consider checking your fuel pickups for proper clearance. I shortened my reserve tube, flipped my shell end for end, and redrilled all the holes in the correct position so the shell fits right.

+1
    I think groupk did an article on fuel/air mixture once your tank reaches a certain point...

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    You need to get one of GroupK's fuel/air seperaters. I did,and have that problem no more.

+1
    I do have the GK fuel separator, the point of the post was the restriction of the reserve fuel line, which can kill the engine, separator or not.

+1
    I do an upgrade to all my skis, I remove the screen and flapper extend the "on" line to match the reserve. Remove the fuel selector knob, add a second filter and plumb two fuel lines to my carbs. I have done this to all my skis, it's the only way to ensure I never starve one for fuel again.

The only way to go IMO, is too extend the fuel lines to the lower rearmost area of the tank and put clunkers on them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    I do an upgrade to all my skis, I remove the screen and flapper extend the "on" line to match the reserve. Remove the fuel selector knob, add a second filter and plumb two fuel lines to my carbs. I have done this to all my skis, it's the only way to ensure I never starve one for fuel again.
    Just to add to Bill's reply,i also extend my fuel lines off the 2 fuel pickups equal length(5 1/2"s) and cut the end of the fuel lines in half,length wise for 1".This part sticks up and the fuel lines sit close to the rear of the tank.This ensures that the fuel lines will collect enough fuel,especially when running on the buzzer.

Cell phone pic kinda fuzzy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSPX0109.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	93401  

Marley Creek, MD
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Just wondering for my own clarity. (and i gotta do something since i basically destroyed my on/off/res switch and lines)

Two filters... in series or parallel? If in series doesn't that only create excessive deltaP and therefore reduce gpm to carb? If in parallel, i guess that would work as a fail safe incase 1 gets clogged, or if both get partially clogged you 'could get full required flow still, but nothing that 1 single oversized filter wouldn't do and also less fuel lines to leak/break.

'extend on line' == make the 'on' dip tube same length as reserve inside the fuel tank? And if so, couldn't... well Would not one run out before the other and suck only vapors then only air (lean)(even if only by a few minutes run time) and then you're slugging pistons again on a dual pickup (basically a mixing valve) ?

1 filter for each carb, or 2 fuel lines to each carb or...? i'm confused.
    If 1 filter/line per carb, then engine could run on one carb and then be slugging other cylinder(s) without fuel/oil and create heat and ring/cylinder wear, so i don't think this is what ya mean. But i don't see how 2 lines tee'ing into each carb helps either since it's still only going into carb in one place... and it would also inevitably create air in one line to lean out mixture at some point (basically an air trap).

(p.s.: not questioning you, just trying to understand)

+1
    Thanks, good ideas guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information