Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Tested the RXT-X Supercharger Surge Protector Kit

I received the R&D surge protection kit the other day, and it came with two BOV valves, a Bosch, and a pretty billet Tial type. You'll notice in the pictures from stock to the protection kit that the blue hose is shorter, and has less of a bend. This should slightly improve max rpm.

The install was fairly easy, but I recommend that you have a shop install it because it involves taking off the ECU to drill a tiny hole in one of the casting plugs on the intake manifold for a vacume line.

Here's the stock picture;

And with the surge protection kit installed;

The results I got are kinda interesting. The Bosch valve performed identically to the more expensive Tial type valve. The Tial type valve is designed for those running higher boost.

I noticed no change in top speed, and a very slight increase in max rpm. I also noticed that when I nailed the throttle, let off quickly, then back on, that there wasn't as much hesitation. Also, you won't here anything. No hiss, no nothing. I like this. I got this to save the wear and tear on the clutch washers in the SC, and I think this will work well.

R&D decided to put the BOV on the side coming from the intercooler to the throttle bodies because that's where it will work the best. If you put the BOV on the side coming from the SC going to the intercooler, then your losing too much pressure when you let off the throttle, and there will be a noticeable lag when you hit the throttle while the pressure builds back up. I noticed zero lag.

These kits will be available soon. I'm going to do some more testing, but I think the kit is pretty good. The kit will come with the Bosch valve, which is fine. I think the big billet one is too heavy, and is way overkill for most applications. Also, the blue silicone hose is very expensive to make. It's hand woven/formed, which adds to the price.

Here's the verbage from the R&D website;
    The R&D Surge Protector Kit will significantly improve supercharger clutch and compressor wheel performance and reliability by eliminating compressor surge. Compressor surge is defined as the negative charge of pressure that causes turbulence in the supercharger that occurs during aggressive of off-throttle operations. When the throttle valve is abruptly closed at high rpms, the engine decelerates quickly down from 8,000 rpms, however the supercharger is compressing air (creating boost) as the supercharger has to decelerate from 42,000 rpms. This turbulence is the primary cause of undue stress on the supercharger clutch system and its components. The R&D surge protection kit utilizes an automotive vacuum assisted Bosch pressure blow off valve that automatically releases the unwanted intake pressure between the closed throttle valve and the supercharger. As soon as the throttle valve is opened, the blow off valve immediately closes and the compressor can supply its full boost potentials to the engine.

Manufactured from high-temperature silicone hose with an integrated molded riser for the blow off valve to function without hindering intake flow or velocity. The R&D kit Installs easily in place of the OEM rubber intake elbow joint. This kit is a very necessary and cost effective up-grade for all Sea-Doo supercharged watercraft. Kit comes completely assembled with silicone elbow, blow off valve, R&D B.O.V. filter, mounting hardware and instructions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Also, the blue silicone hose is very expensive to make. It's hand woven/formed, which adds to the price.
    Looks very nice, but if the slicone hose is very expensive to fabricate (I'm sure it is), would it be more cost efective to fab this assembly from aluminum tubing? It looks like the run could be done with a couple of elbows, and the BOV bung can be welded in place.

Banned User
    +1
    Probably so, I'm not sure. I do know that there is only about 4 places in the country that make these hoses, and if your order is only a few hundred, it takes forever to get them done, and they cost $$$$. There's gotta be a reason they went this way, but I have no idea.

Banned User
    +1
    I put about 8 more hours on the ski with the surge protector, including about an hour of running buoys and have had zero problems. The thing works great, I don't really notice it, and my acceleration and top speed remain the same.

I was riding in some rough stuff over the weekend and the pump would unload in the bumps, and it seemed like the surge protector allowed me to get back on the power much sooner.

I have 70 hours on the ski, and will be close to 85 by the time World Finals comes around. I think I'll rebuild the SC after that, but it will be interesting to see what the slip moment is when I pull it out. Last time, at about 50 hours it was 90"/lbs.

+1
    iflyems, great post, thanks for info...

Banned User
    +1
    Thanks; It's hard work...but somebody has to do it......LOL

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    this is called an ebay 3" tpipe and stock hoses...$25 with a bov $125 done.

you should not have noticed any change in top speed or rpm with a blow off valve,When its closed its the same as not having one.
    It is definetly safer for the charger and would definetly feel better for on off throttle.

There is another way,if there is a small stretch of straight hose stock,you can cut the stock hose and add an aluminum spacer between them with the bow off valve in it.
    This would be less expensive than that blue hose.

Banned User
    +1
    My point exactly. A surge protector should go un-noticed, with no loss in performance. Its just there to save my SC.

+1
    You could use a heated hanger wire to make the hole in the boss on the intake instead of drilling the hole. The install looks very nice though they should have gone with metal pipes imo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information