Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life

Battery Life

today I completed one year owning my Ultra with 46 hr I have question about battery life before I should replace it I noticed that after long not use (say 7 days) and first start is very hard and take long time, do you thinks that the battery has only one year life</p>
    Last edited by sportman; 09-09-2008 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sportman View Post
    ...do you thinks that the battery has only one year life</p>
    Yes, as to stock Yuasa. If you mean strong, dependable life. Thats how long mine lasted. And I noticed weak starting too. Big difference when I switched to Odyssey PC 625.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Yes, as to stock Yuasa. If you mean strong, dependable life. Thats how long mine lasted. And I noticed weak starting too. Big difference when I switched to Odyssey PC 625.
    it is stock Yuasa

Yuasa is a great made in Japan battery.
    With right maintenance it will outlive the ski.
    Dont know if you have winter season in UAE but if you dont plan to use the ski for a while ,just disconnect the battery.I had mine parked for 7 months ,just connected the battery and ski started with just a touch of the button.
    One day i forgot the bilge pump on for 18hours and ski started right away.
    Odyssey is propably better but not necessary in my opinion.

I see no reason why you should not get 4-5 years on that battery. You need to make sure that if you store the craft that you charge it a couple of times.

I would agree that disconnecting battery for long duration of none use is best.

Once this battery dies.....Odyssey is the best!! I have two of them and they don't discharge over the winter and the charge is always higher during the summer use time.

do you think hot weather play any role in battery life, my ski is in shade but still very hot...we do have a winter but it's not that cold and we can ride all over the year..i personally ride and enjoy winter time more..and as you all know cold air is better for Ultra performance and supercharged output

+1

Yes heat is a killer

Quote Originally Posted by sportman View Post
    do you think hot weather play any role in battery life, my ski is in shade but still very hot...we do have a winter but it's not that cold and we can ride all over the year..i personally ride and enjoy winter time more..and as you all know cold air is better for Ultra performance and supercharged output
    Batteries are affected by heat. They will wear out faster, the chemical reaction as far as forming sulphate crystals on the plates.

There is a big reason to go to Odyssey or Deka batteries. They use
    AGM technologies, ie absorbed glass mats. They do not have fluid in them.
    This was developed for the military who wanted no maintenance and the ability to take shock and temp abuse. Jetskis can be in a rough environment, so these batteries work well. Odyssey is one of the best selling motorcycle batteries out there. I think their key models cross reference well with Kawasaki OEM original. The price is about $90usd.
    Here's the right one for Ultra 250X:
    http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc545.htm

or as Blue182 suggests, go to their bigger one:
    http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc625.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    +1 on heat

remove the battery and place it in a cool place and use a smart charger on it. do not place it on a concret floor

Totally Agree on the Odyssey battery and taking the battery out to place it on the smart charger when not in use.

But I have to ask.....can someone explain to me the science behind not placing it on a concrete floor. Yes I have heard this before but I want to understand the science behind this. If everything is equal (battery age, temperature, charge or no charge, length of time in storage) would it matter whether I had it on concrete directly or placed it on a rubber mat, or a wooden board, etc. Is the battery not isolated by it's plastic casing? What if it was left in a car disconnected?

Just looking for details.
    Last edited by Great Lakes; 09-11-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Myths

Interesting information I found

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...opic.php?t=118
    "The old myth about not storing batteries on concrete floors is just that - a myth. This old story has been around for 100 years, and originated back when battery cases were made up of wood and asphalt. The acid would leak from them, and form a slow-discharging circuit through the now acid-soaked and conductive floor."

http://www.carquest.com/partsBatteryFAQMyths.html#2

If I set a battery on concrete, it will quickly loose its charge.
    Although it is true that after a period of time batteries do self-discharge, placing them on concrete won't speed the process. What you place your battery on is not as important as the type of environment you expose it to. A battery that is stored at cooler temperatures (not below freezing), and protected from severe extremes, will last much longer than a battery stored at extreme temperatures.

http://www.harley-performance.com/winter-storage.html
    Battery storage myth: Placing a battery on a concrete floor will not discharge or drain the battery. Lead acid batteries by nature slowly discharge however, a concrete floor has no effect on this.

I hope this helps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information