SL 900 needs piston - no longer available

Fried the rear piston and head of the SL 900 because the carb was was not supplying fuel. Immediately tore it down and began sourcing parts. The sleeve has been honed and is fine, and we now have a replacement head. The problem is, we used a WSM piston kit for the complete rebuild and the piston size we chose to run the over-bore at is no longer produced. No one can get us the right piston. I know its BEST to have all three of the same pistons but we would really like to not tear down the other two cylinders if we can get away with it as those two still have good compression. There is a Wiseco available at the same size, and the OEM is 1mm under, but a repairman we know in town said we could use OEM with a larger piston ring to compensate. Are there terrible effects to using a Wiseco of the same size with the two WSMs? Would it be better to go OEM? Feeling stuck here and very unlucky.

TIA!

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120284945892&ssPageNam e=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

sorry didnt see the wsm part

there are a few 1050 parts on ebay why dont ya buy that motor that sitting at 250+95 shipping and just swap it over
    Last edited by Bone1050; 09-09-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120284945892&ssPageNam e=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

sorry didnt see the wsm part

there are a few 1050 parts on ebay why dont ya buy that motor that sitting at 250+95 shipping and just swap it over
    thx, but im trying to save this motor if i can without a full rebuild again because of the time and money already invested. Anyone have any expertise here?

+1
    I don't see any problem using one Wiseco with two WSM's, or anything else, for that matter. We're talking about a recreational riding boat, not a racer, right?

I definitely wouldn't put an undersized piston with a larger ring! That's a recipe for a collapsed skirt, and chunks of aluminum in your crank.

Just make sure you've got enough clearance on your Wiseco. They're not called "Siezeco" for nothing! I've had problems with them on several vehicles, due to following their clearance recommendations, which typically are on the tight side. (for the record, these problems were on 2 stroke dirtbike motors, not jetskis)

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by scorp jr View Post
    Fried the rear piston and head of the SL 900 because the carb was was not supplying fuel. Immediately tore it down and began sourcing parts. The sleeve has been honed and is fine, and we now have a replacement head. The problem is, we used a WSM piston kit for the complete rebuild and the piston size we chose to run the over-bore at is no longer produced. No one can get us the right piston. I know its BEST to have all three of the same pistons but we would really like to not tear down the other two cylinders if we can get away with it as those two still have good compression. There is a Wiseco available at the same size, and the OEM is 1mm under, but a repairman we know in town said we could use OEM with a larger piston ring to compensate. Are there terrible effects to using a Wiseco of the same size with the two WSMs? Would it be better to go OEM? Feeling stuck here and very unlucky.

TIA!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    I don't see any problem using one Wiseco with two WSM's, or anything else, for that matter. We're talking about a recreational riding boat, not a racer, right?

I definitely wouldn't put an undersized piston with a larger ring! That's a recipe for a collapsed skirt, and chunks of aluminum in your crank.

Just make sure you've got enough clearance on your Wiseco. They're not called "Siezeco" for nothing! I've had problems with them on several vehicles, due to following their clearance recommendations, which typically are on the tight side. (for the record, these problems were on 2 stroke dirtbike motors, not jetskis)

Michael
    thanks for your input, and yes its just for a good time boat

wsm piston

What overbore did you use...... I fried the rear cylinder as well, It ran good for 200 miles than.....boom.....

Quote Originally Posted by jukican View Post
    What overbore did you use...... I fried the rear cylinder as well, It ran good for 200 miles than.....boom.....
    it was the 74.5 i believe. But I am pretty sure mine fried because it was fuel starved, at least thats what the guy who honed the sleeve said when we showed him (He is a local reputable rebuilder/jetski builder guy). The carbs needed to be rebuilt. What did the top of your piston/head look like? ours looked like the surface of the moon when we tore it down haha.

+1
    walking on, walking on the moon....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0132.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	774.3 KB 
ID:	93647  

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    walking on, walking on the moon....
    bummer. mine was definitely gouged deeper, but i didnt have the hole in the middle. bad news!

Thread Information