slx1050 no spark

I am writing from Hungary, Europe. I bought a 1999 slx1050 from the U.S needing an engine rebuild. It was bored .25mm over, gave it a new crank and seals. When we tried to start it it had no spark at first, but afted I cleaned all connections and grounds it started right up. Put about 25 hours on it and it ran very strong, reaching 68mph on the dreamometer.
    I didnt use it for a few weeks, and now it wont start. It has no spark. Bat is brand new. Ran great before putting it away.Did all the cheks according to the manual with all the ohm readings. Thinking it must be the stator or the cdi
    I bought a set off ebay, with exactly the same part numbers as mine. Both came from the same boat. The seller swears itt was a good running unit.
    I installed the parts( had to pull the engine), everything fit fine. Had a little spark, but went away after a few seconds. Now no spark.
    The only thing that measured different with both the old stator and the new one is that the EXITER COIL(black to purple) ohm reading was NO CONTINUITY, where as per the manual it should be 1200 ohms.
    Other than that everything checks out good.
    Please help me!!!! Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

If you haven't done so already, you can download various Polaris Service Manuals from here.

There is no 1999 manual online yet, but between the 1998 and 2002 manuals, it should cover most things.

Put a meter on your battery, and check battery voltage while the engine is cranking. Battery voltage must be at least 10.6 volts, and it is better to be 11.0 volts or higher.

Battery voltage during engine cranking less than 10.6 volts will not provide spark.

Bat voltage is 11.3 when cranking, its a brand new battery. New plugs, cables.
    Does the 99 model have different specs for measuring the stator?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX1050 View Post
    ...1999 slx1050
    ...both the old stator and the new one is that the EXCITER COIL (black to purple) ohm reading was NO CONTINUITY, where as per the manual it should be 1200 ohms.
    Other than that everything checks out good...
    No exciter coil continuity means no spark.

If you are testing the exciter coil properly, then that is the problem.

You can try tracing the Purple and black wires to the actual coil. Perhaps you can find the break in the wiring.

I got a suppose to be good used one off ebay, and it tests the same as the old one. Can they both be bad? The seller swears it came off a running boat.
    I just noticed that you are also Canadian. I lived there for 12 years, went to university in Hamilton.
    Last edited by SLX1050; 09-09-2008 at 03:38 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX1050 View Post
    I got a suppose to be good used one off ebay, and it tests the same as the old one. Can they both be bad? The seller swears it came off a running boat.
    I just noticed that you are also Canadian. I lived there for 12 years, went to university in Hamilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    No exciter coil continuity means no spark.

If you are testing the exciter coil properly, then that is the problem.

You can try tracing the Purple and black wires to the actual coil. Perhaps you can find the break in the wiring.
    Try following the wires from the connector down to the actual coil on the stator.

Make sure you are testing the correct wires, and see if you can find the break.

Hamilton - I seem to visit there often enough. We toured around the bay a couple of weeks ago on the Polari.

It looks much better now that they have been reclaiming the old industrial lands around the bay for new parks and launch ramps. Still has one or two steel mills operating near the Skyway bridge...

McMaster I presume.

Thread Information