Thread: Carb syncro....

Carb syncro....

I have a Uni-Syn carb tool that I use to sync the carbs on my cars that have multiple carb set ups. Can this also be used on my 96 GSX to sync the carbs or is it not sensitive enough?
    MaxDoc

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Isn't the connections to a vacuum port? There aren't any on watercraft carbs, as fuel isn't allowed to spill in the hull.

Visual is your only option.

+1
    I usually adjust the sync by eye,but you can get a better feel when adjusting in the water.

Loosen nuts on linkage rod & turn inner adjuster till best smooth idle is obtained,you will hear the diff when you start adjusting.

The Uni-Syn

Works on air flow. You place the tool over the carb throat , while the engine is idling, and adjust a disk that slowly closes the tools open port. That in turn causes vacuum in a clear tube that has a "float" in it causing it to rise. You adjust the disk until the float is centered on one of the tubes hash marks. Once that is done you place the tool over the second carb and see where the "float" settles. If the float matches the original carbs settings the air flow into each carb is identical and the carbs are in sync. If not then you adjust the second carbs butterfly or throttle plate, setting until the "float" matches the first carbs air flow. When it does the carbs are in sync. I am going to give it a shot this weekend on the Doo and see what it says. I was just wondering if any one has ever used this methode to sync the carbs. Here is a website addy that shows what the tool looks like

http://store.edelbrock.com/uni-synmu...ncingtool.aspx

MaxDoc
    Last edited by maxdoc; 09-10-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: OPPS...I should have stated use on a running engine...

Worked like a charm....

I was able to get down to the lake today. I drug the ski out and sync'ed the carbs linkage visually using an inspection mirror. Next I put it on the hose set the idle to 3k, lined up the oil pump, restarted it and popped the UNI-SYN on. It showed the mag side carb to be ever so slightly ahead in air volume at idle. Just a tweak on the adjuster and bingo both carbs had equal air flow. Shut the ski down and visually inspected again with the mirror. I could not visually see any change in either carb so I guess the UNI-SYN is sensitive enough. Put it back together took it out for a spin and its smooth as silk through out the throttle range. Mabey I got lucky but the ole UNI-SYN is sure an easy way to sync up the carbs! Beats the hell out of trying to focus my old eyes on a mirror.
    MaxDoc

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Hey man...sounds good! Want to rent it out?

LOL.... My UNY-SYN is as old as dirt.... had it for the past 30 years...I looked at replacing it with the "newer" versions that have a bit wider carb throat opening but it works just fine as it is... although my sight tube is a bit beat up and a tad "cloudy" ..... If I ever rented this out I am afraid it would be mistaken as junk and pitched...
    MaxDoc
    Last edited by maxdoc; 09-12-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Thread Information