Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar

RXP-X Intake Grates

Pictures of the stock grate and my smoothed out R&D Grate....Look at the differences and ponder some possiblilties....

+1
    in that second pic (comparsion of the ramps) you need to split the diff between the two in angle and install the pump extension.
    for every mm you take off the end of the r&d grate it will raise p pressure by over 4to5psi and increase holeshot

btw dont go welding on that grate, it wont work, it will crack, I think there might be a new grate coming out with better angles and SS, just what I heard.
    Last edited by JD 1; 09-09-2008 at 07:55 PM.

I'm guessing you'd want to shorten the trailing edge of the middle vane?
    Are you looking to increase aperature size?-downside would be tendency to stuff the pump.
    My understanding is that the angle of attack on the stock grate was made that high in order to kill high speed performance for CG compliance.
    Did you go at the grate with a polishing tip on a dremmel? It looks good.

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    in that second pic (comparsion of the ramps) you need to split the diff between the two in angle and install the pump extension.
    for every mm you take off the end of the r&d grate it will raise p pressure by over 4to5psi and increase holeshot

btw dont go welding on that grate, it wont work, it will crack, I think there might be a new grate coming out with better angles and SS, just what I heard.
    split the diff between the 2 angles on the ramps....see what I can do....yea I was told by stan to only take a little off the back....Just a little at a time cause it would stuff if I didnt watch out....I did notice that when testing the R&D grate that if felt like the outside wings on the grate grabed in turns real erratically...In chop it felt great and on glass water it felt like it wanted more and more....Something about those outside wings!!!!!!! Yea based on what it was made of and how its formed I dont think for one minute I am going to weld on that thing....Thanks for the info Dan appreciate it...Pump extension is something I will have to save for as I will be trying to run some stock class races next year.....Who knows maybe Santa will be nice this year....

Quote Originally Posted by eleventenths View Post
    I'm guessing you'd want to shorten the trailing edge of the middle vane?
    Are you looking to increase aperature size?-downside would be tendency to stuff the pump.
    My understanding is that the angle of attack on the stock grate was made that high in order to kill high speed performance for CG compliance.
    Did you go at the grate with a polishing tip on a dremmel? It looks good.
    looked into that and it has become and idea as well not really shure how far we want to take it as this is my only R&D grate well my buddy has one to and we have been going in different directions on it....It would be nice to have like 3 or 4 of these to cut and sand and mod on to try different combinations...I am lookinf for a happy medium right now..No stuff, good holeshot, and good top speed trying to find that balance. I will be using this in racing so I need something that is very adapatable I think we may have found it with advice from Dan, Stan, Jeff, and a few others whom I want to thank for there help....Thanks Guys....

Well I used some files 1st cause there are some rough spots on these grates and some high spots as well. Then I came back over it with a wire brush on a drill to rough smooth it then I went back with a dremmel and a grinding stone to smooth out the transitions. Then polished it up with a dremmel polish wheel....oh yea and I forgot I wet sanded it................
    Last edited by phoenixcustoms; 09-10-2008 at 09:41 AM.

+1
    I'd like to bolt that puppy up to my T-X for an hour or so and see what it does. Nice job on it! Let us know what happens.

Thread Information