99-?? ultra 150's?

What are the differences between the years? I have heard that the 99 models are the fastest. If thats the case then by how much? Whats the hole shot like on these skis? Im looking to buy one for around 3000 so keep that in mind. With the right handling mods are they really that bad in the chop, speed wise. I ride a 96 waveraider 1100 now and it loses quite abit of speed in chop and will beat you around too. But i like how crazy it is and for its hole shot. Is 70mph reach easily with mods or does it take quite abit of work. Cause as of right now i can probably be able to reach low to mid 60's on the waveraider. But if i can buy a ultra 150 and be there already stock with the same amount of mods i could be near 70...just my thought.

+1
    99 had a different cdi that takes lots of $$$ for the plugs and a tad thinner hull. They will run about 63 stock and will be a handful without some handling mods. With some free mods some people are around the 69 mark with almost no money involved. Hole shot is not bad at all but speed will get scrubbed of in the chop.

I dont think you would notice that much difference between years. The early 99s did have the hotter ignition but that changed during the model year. After 03 they had smart steering. Hole shot is good should run 64 - 65 stock and hit 70 with a few mods and can see high 70's if you want to go further. A shredmaster plate and some a/m sponsons are must do mods so you dont kill yourself in the chop. A good grate will help it stat hooked. You can check out the 2 threads in my sig and get a good idea of the mods and just how far you can go. Since I added the pipes its hitting 73 - 74 with a full tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    I dont think you would notice that much difference between years. The early 99s did have the hotter ignition but that changed during the model year. After 03 they had smart steering. Hole shot is good should run 64 - 65 stock and hit 70 with a few mods and can see high 70's if you want to go further. A shredmaster plate and some a/m sponsons are must do mods so you dont kill yourself in the chop. A good grate will help it stat hooked. You can check out the 2 threads in my sig and get a good idea of the mods and just how far you can go. Since I added the pipes its hitting 73 - 74 with a full tank of gas.

+1 I had a 99 and an 02 and with the same handling mods for some reason the 02 handled much much better. I never got a chance to dig into the 99 to much handling wise to see why it didn't handle so well but it just didn't. With the 99 I had I was looking for smooth water single pipe speed and the 02 overall performance in smooth water to mild chop. U150's are very fun ski's, won't beat you as much as your Raider in the rough but will still give you a whoppin. They are a midrange to topend ski, low end is good IF you can learn how to get the most out of the trim and you can ride an Ultra but it still won't keep up with others on low end and midrange but much more "fun" to ride. If your riding in choppy water I've got a Worx intake grate hanging on the wall that is great for a stock to lightly modded Ultra I'll cut you a deal on.

+1 on shredmaster/Beach House Sponsons. With just heads and a carb rejet, my Ultra will consistantly pull 68-69 and with only 1 bar of fuel I have seen 70.

If you want lots of info on the Ultras: http://ultra150.yuku.com/

thanks guy this is a lot of god information.......Ive looked in a few places and found that the ultra 150's are kinda of thin in texas. Im not looking for a brand new just something under 02 probably. They have plenty in Oklahoma... Plus this is a bad time of year to find skis for sale.

+1
    I have a '99 Ultra, bought it new. I bought it in the winter and broke it in on glassy water. The first thing I noticed was that it didn't want to turn. It wants to go straight. It also wasn't very 'playful' in choppy water, didn't want to jump.

I love to jump mine, so I adjusted the trim cable to get more up. Not much help. Some suggest cutting the cable, but I didn't want to do something that couldn't be undone. I made a new angled bracket to attach the cable end to the trim nozzle. Effectively shortened the cable 3/4", so the new Down position corresponds to the old Neutral position. Up is a lot of fun!!! From a standing start, it will jump out of flat water after travelling about 50 yards.

I was uncomfortable with the 'stange' handling for a while, but I just got used to it. It seems like it wants to turn when landing in chop, but I've learned to hang on for dear life and everything seems to work fine. I thought about trying a SM rideplate, but they're expensive and I'm afraid of losing the jumping/spinning capability.

Only the early '99s had the ignition system that required the expensive sparkplugs. That engine produced 150 HP. The later '99s had slightly retarded timing and produced 145 HP.

If you get one, make sure you keep a close eye on the oil lines. I'd replace them and secure them with safety wire.

There is a mod called the Triple Pisser mod that allows you to see water discharging from each cylinder head. Very worthwhile!

I've owned various PWCs, from WR500s, 900 ZXi, 1100 ZXi, 750 SSXi, etc. and this is by far my favorite. There are few things I enjoy as much as riding it, in smooth water or chop.

do these response well to mods or are they like engines with hot tunes from the factory and only response little. For example the yamaha guys get great response from mods without negative side effects...i dont want to compromise every day riding to reach 70gps

They respond very well, even better than the Yamahas up to a certain point. Its fairly easy to get an Ultra 150 to the 70 mph zone but it takes more to go over that more than 1-2 mph. The Yamahas once you get them too 70 they respond better to above 70 mph tricks.

The Ultra's mod list is: Shredmaster rideplate, sponsons, heads, rejet carbs and impeller and most see around 68. Some have done it without heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
    They respond very well, even better than the Yamahas up to a certain point. Its fairly easy to get an Ultra 150 to the 70 mph zone but it takes more to go over that more than 1-2 mph. The Yamahas once you get them too 70 they respond better to above 70 mph tricks.

The Ultra's mod list is: Shredmaster rideplate, sponsons, heads, rejet carbs and impeller and most see around 68. Some have done it without heads.

thats great information........thanks alot

Thread Information