Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar

Big Wave Riding on my SHO

This was my first time in waves this big (thx to Hurricane Ike) so plz hold the p-ssy comments.....waves were 5-7 ft with intermittent 7-9 ft rollers and 9-10 ft breakers...........I was scared when i first went out....next time ill use the helmet can so u can get a feel for the depth and height of the waves....notice the RPM of the ski......
    the water was so churned up that the prop/motor was constantly spinning cavitated water and pushing against 20-40 mph wind gusts and fast moving water........

unfortunately the cam started screwing up and i couldnt include the good jumps when i finally started getting comfortable......mother nature is impressive tho,,,,,,,,very ez to lose landmarks and wind up in a shallow area/shoal......food for thought if u ever find urself in these conditions...

Banned User
    +1
    That looks like fun.....
    The microphone sounds much better when it gets wet(note to self).

I kept waiting for you to just nail and bail-nail the throttle and jump off the ski. Hard to tell perspective with the camera angle, but I'm thinking if they looked big from that angle, they were probably huge.

Went out on an old JS650 years ago, in a tropical storm near Pensacola. The results weren't pretty. The ski was pretty much destroyed....and I wasn't much better off. But for about 15 minutes it was a blast. Til I hit a 30 foot wave......or it hit me...still not sure what happened. I floated to the beach, and so did the ski, pretty much trashed.

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    That looks like fun.....
    The microphone sounds much better when it gets wet(note to self).

I kept waiting for you to just nail and bail-nail the throttle and jump off the ski. Hard to tell perspective with the camera angle, but I'm thinking if they looked big from that angle, they were probably huge.

Went out on an old JS650 years ago, in a tropical storm near Pensacola. The results weren't pretty. The ski was pretty much destroyed....and I wasn't much better off. But for about 15 minutes it was a blast. Til I hit a 30 foot wave......or it hit me...still not sure what happened. I floated to the beach, and so did the ski, pretty much trashed.
    yeah...i was amazed at the video and the difference from my own recollection....those wave heights r from the hurricane center....cam made them seem tame....much different perspective from helmet cam angle

unfortunately the cam screwed up and wouldnt turn on when i was finally gettin 60-90 degree air with my SHO with the 'fishing-bobber' , smooth landings....oh ewell...next time...def put can on helmet for the height perspective

Big Waves

Great video...unfortunately pics and video never give you the true size of the waves you were in and I'd bet they were larger than what you stated. You were in some big stuff -- I could see some 10+ footers.

Did you run into a breaking wave and go submarining?

Quote Originally Posted by SUVdude View Post
    Great video...unfortunately pics and video never give you the true size of the waves you were in and I'd bet they were larger than what you stated. You were in some big stuff -- I could see some 10+ footers.

Did you run into a breaking wave and go submarining?
    haha....actually i did.......filled the cupholder and left some sea-weed in there.....also ripped the lenses out of my Oakley H20's.....

ouch

waves

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nTear SHO View Post
    haha....actually i did.......filled the cupholder and left some sea-weed in there.....also ripped the lenses out of my Oakley H20's.....

ouch
    Sounds like you had a good day-LOL.

Storms

Very nice video - note to self "get water cam for Christmas"

Severals years back a friend and I went into the Gulf as a storm was moving to Louisiana (before Katrina and not one that caused to much damage) the weather was nice and the wave were 50' apart and seemed quite tall. We were scared but went out anyway - till my buddy fell off and couldn't restart as he was going toward the rocks - I was trying to figure out what to do when he restarted finally. He went in and I didn't want to stay out alone. Going with the waves and skiing down like surfing was wild - I guess there are some places you can get wave like that all the time - not in the GULF

IKE will probably be gone by saturday when I could get out - on the used FXHO I just picked up Saturday and registered yesterday - I did a quick test ride Sunday and am lovin it!.

waves

Not a good idea to ride alone in big waves. Too much can happen.

dude that is bad azz!! i used to live in venice (gulf coast) and never had the chance to go out on waves like that. had my zxi in 4-5ft breakers and that was a blast. cant wait to bring the sho down there. hopefully around spring break!!

New Hampshire Physically, Maine/Canada Mentally!
    NICE !!!!!

I had a day like this. What scared me was the I had someone on the ski with me, so my maneuvering s*cked big time. I hate riding double - it's so different than solo. Anywho... always can count on rip for videos - gotta love it !!

Thanks man !!

- what i would give for some warm water.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information